Anyone still using wirecast?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Anyone still using wirecast?

Post by rannthal »

Is there anyone out there that still uses wirecast? If there is, please post here so I can get a count.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Anyone still using wirecast?

Post by Mikerowaved »

[Raises hand] Just did yesterday for stake conference.

You used the words "still using". It hasn't been that long since Wirecast was a viable option. Is the church now moving away from using it?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
roblad

Post by roblad »

I had hoped that wirecast would give us the ability to record. I've also wanted to have it be a backup for a failed VidiU teradeck streaming device. Is this no longer a supported streaming technology?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

roblad wrote:I had hoped that wirecast would give us the ability to record.
It does, but probably not at the same time it's working on encoding an upload stream, unless you either reduce the quality or have a real monster of a PC.
roblad wrote:I've also wanted to have it be a backup for a failed VidiU teradeck streaming device.
Yup, or a good VidiU device, but they're having server-side issues. I had no problem configuring Wirecast to use the church's portal system; and for backup, in less than a minute I can recall a previously saved configuration and start streaming to the free YouTube Live servers. Text the URL to all the receive sites and you're be back on the air.
roblad wrote:Is this no longer a supported streaming technology?
That's my understanding. I was told the church negotiated some sort of bulk rate with Telestream for quite a few Wirecast 6 licenses. Up until about 3 weeks ago, these were available for stakes to buy in the LDS store, but it's no longer available. If a stake were to purchase a license, they would have to get it direct from Telestream, who offers a 10% discount to nonprofit groups. Although the mhtech website still has installation and ingestion settings for Wirecast, if you chose to use it, you're probably going to be on your own.

If someone is thinking about Wirecast, they offer a free, full functioning, "trial" version that has no expiration. They watermark both the video and audio, but it allows you to make full-up tests to the church's portal system and/or other streaming servers. If a license is later purchased, applying it simply removes the watermarks and retains all your saved settings from your testing sessions.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Macy19757526

Post by Macy19757526 »

Wirecast is a production tool that can input audio, video, and graphics content from a number of sources. For live video, input will depend upon the capture hardware installed on your computer. I tested with a Blackmagic Design 4K Extreme that can input HD-SDI, HDMI, and a range of analog formats.

I tested with the first two, but not the latter. :D Wirecast can also capture DV and webcam input, and input from some versions of Skype, Google Hangouts, GoToMeeting, and FaceTime (depending upon operating system and versions; check telestream.net for more details).
roblad

Post by roblad »

A key feature that Wirecast provides is that is will record a program and write out to a MPEG4 file. For events that we have wanted to record, we used to use a DVD recorder, People prefer passing things around on a thumb drive instead of DVDs, so being able to record to disk, is great. The only catch is that the PC must have sufficient performance so that the CPU isn't driven to 100% during the recording. There are other software programs that will do this however that are much less expensive than Wirecast. Wirecast can serve as a good backup to a Teradeck that fails.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

We have an older version of Wirecast that is only being used as a backup to OBS Studio

We use OBS Studio as a backup in case there are issues with our VidiU device

Note: Open Broadcaster Software (OBS Studio) is not supported by headquarters
mitchrichie

Post by mitchrichie »

Do you use OBS studio with the Church's streaming server? In my testing, I can't get the two to work with each other.
pete.arnett

OBS Studio as a backup to the Teradek VidiU

Post by pete.arnett »

We use OBS Studio 23.1 as a backup to the Teradek VidiU.

Have not used Wirecast in years
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Just used Wirecast for another stake conference. That end of things worked very well.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”