Split clerk and tech support forums?

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
craiggsmith

Split clerk and tech support forums?

Post by craiggsmith »

There are quite a few forums under the heading Clerk and Technology Support. It seems there are two distinct groups -- clerk activities (finance, membership) and technology, and I would think the majority of people don't cross over. Would they consider splitting that group into two? I think it would be a cleaner interface for everyone.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Split clerk and tech support forums?

Post by jdlessley »

Thank you for the input. The moderators and administrators have been discussing the reorganization of the entire LDSTech Forum. The Clerk and Technology Support section organization has been part of that discussion and your point was brought up by an administrator early in the discussion. We have not reached a consensus for action yet.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Sounds great, thanks.
jirp

Post by jirp »

As one of the ones who crosses over I would say keep them together.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jirp wrote:As one of the ones who crosses over I would say keep them together.
Would it create a problem for you if it was split? Is that the only area you look at?

In church, I'm a STS, so I stay out of record-keeping unless MLS is malfunctioning. But then, as Admin here, I read everything anyway, so my usage case isn't normal.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I think it would make it easier to find the right forum if they were split, regardless of whether a person uses both categories or not.
jirp

Post by jirp »

No I am enough of a nerd I can go where ever. But I will have to say I have learned a lot from wandering the tech forums simply because I stumbled into it while looking for something else. If they have clear log in paths it doesn't matter. Right now though the log in path without a book mark is to complicated. As a clerk the path is lds.org then sign in then clerk resourses then clerk training then user forums then click on forum to get me logged in since the other logins don't work then browse back down through everything to find the category I am looking for. It shouldn't be more than 4 steps yet here we are with 7 steps. The alternate path I occasionally use is through my calendar login and the message that posts there that links to the tech forums that I very carefully don't delete.

Fixing the login so it worked properly would help and ideally either in the main pull down menu after I sign in to lds.org or in clerk resources menu should take me right to tech and MLS forums.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jirp wrote:If they have clear log in paths it doesn't matter.
I guess I should clarify. I don't think the proposal is to create a completely different website, but split up the "Clerk and Technology Support" category. For example, if you look at the top-level sections, you'll see this post falls in the "Help & Feedback" section. I see you've posted over in "Church Technology for Members", so you've found your way there. The log in is the same, is just how the different subjects are grouped.
jirp wrote:Right now though the log in path without a book mark is to complicated. As a clerk the path is lds.org then sign in then clerk resourses then clerk training then user forums
You may find "tech.lds.org" simpler. Then just click of "Forum". Or, you can be like me and type https://tech.lds.org/forum.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ask, and eventually, you'll receive.

craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Fantastic! I see some good new forums as well. I guess meetinghouse video now goes under Rich Media?

Return to “Help with this forum”