Printing Rolls in Sunday School adding extra people not on list

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
tietjen

Printing Rolls in Sunday School adding extra people not on list

Post by tietjen »

I removed the Family History class to delete all the members. I added Family History and left the age range blank. I chose my 17 members and and then I went to print the roll and it showed all the 0 aged babies on the roll with dashes in the date boxes. I then deleted it again and recreated the class with the minimum age of 18, and then when I printed the roll it showed all the 18 year old's on the roll and no babies.

Both times it did have the members we chose, but it adds whatever age group we put also on the roll. It does not show the babies or 18 year old's as being part of the organization even on their membership records.

This seems like a bug to me, any thoughts?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This is not a bug. It is functioning as designed.

When you create a class you must designate the criteria for the class. For a situation where you want to manually place members in a class you have to exclude everyone first. Do this by setting a criteria that no one meets such as an age of 200 years and over (minimum age of 200). For more information on classes see the wiki article Classes.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tietjen

Post by tietjen »

I am still not sure I agree. This seems to be doing this recently, not in the past when I have done rolls. I try to say 200 years and over and it does not show any members for me to choose from. Do I have to go to Gospel Doctrine and remove them one by one and assign them to family history? When I moved the 18 year old's to Relief Society they also still show on the Young Women Roll. This just seems strange to me.

The other thing is that if I choose "Birthday, Standard, Abbreviated, or Phone" it only shows the designated class members, but Attendance Roll it adds the extra.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tietjen wrote:I am still not sure I agree. This seems to be doing this recently, not in the past when I have done rolls. I try to say 200 years and over and it does not show any members for me to choose from. Do I have to go to Gospel Doctrine and remove them one by one and assign them to family history?
Yes, that is necessary because when they are members of Gospel Doctrine as a result of the Gospel Doctrine membership rules they must be removed from Gospel Doctrine and added to Family History. Setting the minimum and maximum age for Family History to 200 is done to exclude members from qualifying for the class automatically and having the class populated with members you do not want there. This is what happened to you as you described in your first post.
tietjen wrote:When I moved the 18 year old's to Relief Society they also still show on the Young Women Roll. This just seems strange to me.
This is abnormal to have them in two classes at once. It should not happen. But also, there should be no need to manually move 18-year-old females to Relief Society since that should happen automatically when a young woman reaches 18. In fact an 18-year-old young woman must be manually moved to Young Women if that is where she wants to remain.
tietjen wrote:The other thing is that if I choose "Birthday, Standard, Abbreviated, or Phone" it only shows the designated class members, but Attendance Roll it adds the extra.
This is another topic and should be addressed in another thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tietjen

Post by tietjen »

jdlessley wrote:This is another topic and should be addressed in another thread.

This is not really another discussion item, this is just me pointing out that the other options underneath the roll didn't show these members.

Anyway, I think I am understanding the rolls better. The issue really has arisen because I am trying to print December, which automatically includes January and February and therefore it adds those that will be in the age range for next year. So it probably wouldn't have been an issue if I created the class in January and then printed the roll in January, but then next year we would of had problems, so I see why you recommended what you did.

I would suggest then an option that says ignore the date range, or custom class. It doesn't seem very user friendly to have to put 200 as the max age. Anyway, thank you for your answers.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

If you print a 3-month roll that begins in October, it will not include any who are moved into the class in January. Yes, December will then show as the last month, not the first, but that is easier to explain than why people are "in the wrong class."

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”