MLS 2.8 - Downgrade?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
maethows
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:09 am

MLS 2.8 - Downgrade?

Postby maethows » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:21 am

Version 2.8 was just downloaded and installed a few minutes ago. The first thing I noticed was that the link for Confidential Forms is gone. It isn't even referenced in the help documentation.

Seeing this I figured I should check the Release Notes to see why this change took place and what else might have changed. Lo and behold, our Release Notes file on the desktop doen't have any bullet items at all.

Did our update go bad or is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

MLS 2.8 still beta?

Postby aebrown » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:38 pm

mfellows wrote:Version 2.8 was just downloaded and installed a few minutes ago. The first thing I noticed was that the link for Confidential Forms is gone. It isn't even referenced in the help documentation.

Seeing this I figured I should check the Release Notes to see why this change took place and what else might have changed. Lo and behold, our Release Notes file on the desktop doen't have any bullet items at all.

Did our update go bad or is anyone else seeing this?


As I understand it, MLS 2.8 is still in beta, but entering a wider beta test involving many stakes. If that is correct, your stake must be one of the selected beta test stakes. My experience with beta tests is that the Release Notes aren't done until the final release.

Stakes that participate in the beta are instructed via their Stake Technology Specialist to give feedback to the Church on the new version. If indeed the Confidential Forms capability is gone (something many of us heralded as a great new feature with MLS 2.7), I would make sure my voice is heard.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20781
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:44 pm

I wonder if someone decided that putting the confidential forms in MLS was distributing them a little too widely. Perhaps it is there but visible only for certain leaders?

maethows
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:09 am

Postby maethows » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:14 pm

RussellHltn wrote:I wonder if someone decided that putting the confidential forms in MLS was distributing them a little too widely. Perhaps it is there but visible only for certain leaders?


That was my first thought, so when the bishop came in I had him log in to see if it would show up - no such luck.

You have a good point about it possibly being a confidentiality / security issue, but I would think this would be associated with the ability to securely save forms that are a work-in-progress - there isn't anything inherently "secret" about the forms without the information filled in.

If this is a beta (with missing features) that our stake clerk / technology specialist is aware of, then I'm going to have to thump him for not letting me know ahead of time. ;-)

User avatar
childsdj
Community Moderators
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:51 am

Postby childsdj » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 pm

You are probably one of only a few stakes that are using the beta of 2.8. It still has the confidential forms feature, but there was a problem with the module of which confidential forms is a part of. The confidential module will come down early next week. The release notes are not all the way completed, but will come down some time next week to beta units.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20781
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:14 pm

mfellows wrote:there isn't anything inherently "secret" about the forms without the information filled in.


Maybe not secret, but it could be a source of mischief as I kind of doubt if the church did any matching of signatures when they got one. If I remember correctly, those forms used to be a "order as needed" type of item. Of course that meant there was never a form when you needed one and it took too long to get one in so clerks tended to hoard them - and then found out that it had changed.

maethows
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:09 am

Postby maethows » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:31 pm

RussellHltn wrote:Maybe not secret, but it could be a source of mischief as I kind of doubt if the church did any matching of signatures when they got one. If I remember correctly, those forms used to be a "order as needed" type of item. Of course that meant there was never a form when you needed one and it took too long to get one in so clerks tended to hoard them - and then found out that it had changed.


Exactly why I thought this feature was so great when it was first developed. Then they added the ability to save the forms as a work-in-progress - icing on the cake. This is especially valuable now that we don't get typewriters as part of the initial bishop's kit.

I had always assumed that since we had to go through extra steps to request these forms that there were also extra precautions taken when submissions were received. If those extra precautions aren't in place then I could understand why copies of the forms might need to be protected. (From a security standpoint, I wouldn't think the security of the whole process should boil down to hiding the forms - but I digress)

User avatar
opee
Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Postby opee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:34 pm

mfellows wrote:now that we don't get typewriters


What is a typewriter? :D

User avatar
jeromer7
Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska

Surprise

Postby jeromer7 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:48 am

Alan_Brown wrote:As I understand it, MLS 2.8 is still in beta, but entering a wider beta test involving many stakes. If that is correct, your stake must be one of the selected beta test stakes.

Not mentioned yet in the thread is the possibility that this unit was mistakenly marked for download of the Beta MLS 2.8. I would think a Beta tester would be more useful if he knew he was one.
JLR

mdantas
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:28 pm
Location: São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Contact:

Postby mdantas » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:07 am

Where can I download the version 2.8 of MLS?

Regards,
Márcio Dantas


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest