Restore from Backup

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
harddrive

Restore from Backup

Post by harddrive »

My stake clerk has installed MLS 3.4.1 on a computer. He was able to rill out the information for the stake.

He then clicks to restore the database and he does not get a dialog box for him to select the location of the backup file to restore.

Has anyone ran into this problem? The reason that I ask is because in the next 18 months, I will need to refresh the computers in my stake. I don't want to run into the problem of having to restore the local units database.

Thanks for letting me know what needs to happen or if there is a "bug" in the software.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

harddrive wrote:He then clicks to restore the database and he does not get a dialog box for him to select the location of the backup file to restore.

So what does happen when he chooses the Restore from a File option? Whenever I choose that, I get a warning dialog and then I get a standard file selection dialog box.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

aebrown wrote:So what does happen when he chooses the Restore from a File option? Whenever I choose that, I get a warning dialog and then I get a standard file selection dialog box.

He doesn't even get warning dialog box. Now this is a fresh install of MLS. Now could this be because he isn't running MLS in with Admin privileges? He is using this on Windows 7. I can try it on my laptop to see if I get the same issue.

Basically he gets nothing.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

harddrive wrote:He doesn't even get warning dialog box. Now this is a fresh install of MLS. Now could this be because he isn't running MLS in with Admin privileges? He is using this on Windows 7. I can try it on my laptop to see if I get the same issue.

Basically he gets nothing.
Database restores can only be done by an MLS Admin. I'm surprised he even sees the option if he's not an MLS admin. Or are you talking about Windows Admin accounts? Instructions are to run MLS on a Windows Admin account as well.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

aebrown wrote:Database restores can only be done by an MLS Admin. I'm surprised he even sees the option if he's not an MLS admin. Or are you talking about Windows Admin accounts? Instructions are to run MLS on a Windows Admin account as well.

aebrown, I need to make a correction to my post. He does get the initial dialog box of warning about the restore. He doesn't get the dialog box to select the files. I just installed it on my laptop and I was able to get the dialog box to locate the file.

Now what I'm talking about is running MLS from within Windows as admin. He is the admin of MLS. So it looks like it is something with his computers.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”