FHC Finances using MLS 2.7.x

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
pete_arnett-p40

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

Has anyone done a FHC setup using MLS?

How do you order laser checks to be used with MLS?

How do you setup the beginning balance?

How to import all the stuff in REFIS?

Why MLS, because REFIS will not run on a desktop with more than 512 MB of memory

Yes – I will also post this on the Yahoo LDSCLERK and other groups

Thanks,
Your Fellow Servant

Are you a new FamilySearch user?
If not, then apply at the new FamilySearch
web site at http://www.new.familysearch.org
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pete_arnett wrote:Has anyone done a FHC setup using MLS?
In some cases, the ward/stake may need to share a machine with the FHC, but I really doubt that it's intended for the FHC to handle their finances on their own copy of MLS.
How do you order laser checks to be used with MLS?
It's provided when your stake switches over the MLS.
pete_arnett-p40

FYI

Did an installation last night and all is well

You order laser checks by call MLS support

Re: [fhctech] FHC Finances using MLS 2.7.x

I setup the Finance Only version of MLS at the Mississauga Ontario FHC about two weeks ago. Call the Church finance department to order the laser feed cheques, you will need to give them your unit number for the FHC, the cheques might be mailed to your Stake President. If your FHC has a CFAR account the ending balance will come from "Other" category on the Church Unit Financial Statement for the FHC, your Stake Clerk should be able to provide you with the Statement because they are mailed to the Stake President. If you don't have a CFAR account, you will have to talk to the Church unit (Ward, Stake) who is managing the finances for your FHC. You cannot import REFIS data into MLS. REFIS is old, the Church finance department wants FHC's using REFIS to switch over to the finance only version of MLS. If you are having difficulty setting up the Finance only version of MLS or have questions, call Aaron Griffin 1-800-453-3860 ext. 25476, Aaron provides support for setting up MLS at FHC's.

Stake Clerk
Mississauga Ontario Stake
USA
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RussellHltn wrote:I really doubt that it's intended for the FHC to handle their finances on their own copy of MLS.
Found out on the other list this appears to be the way things are going. Learn something new all the time.

MLS - it's not just for Wards and Stakes anymore. :D

(Yeah, I know, the Mission has it too. :rolleyes:)
pete_arnett-p40

FHC Finances using MLS 2.7.x Budget Items

Any suggestion for what a FHC should use for their income and budget

Income
Patron (only have one account, list check separately and patrons film usage can be printed from Film INv Manager)

Categories
Films
Supplies, paper and misc

Budget (Categories)
Other
Films
Supplies, paper and misc
USA
pete_arnett-p40

FHC MLS 2.7.x (Finance Only) NEXT buttons ‏

Brother Arnett,

There is a bug in the program.
There is an easy solution for this bug.
Add a subcategory under other.
This corrects the problem of the NEXT button.

Aaron
USA
michaelegon-p40

Security concern with MLS in FHC

Post by michaelegon-p40 »

I have significant security concerns about installing MLS on a FHC computer. Perhaps all my concerns are answered by the implementation of the "stripped down" version of MLS referred to, but there is little information available.

MLS, even a stripped down version, offers a direct line into the Church's bank account. This is not so much a problem with clerk's computers. Clerk's computers are kept in the clerk's office, a small locked room with limited access, and generally are on only for short periods of time. They all have the latest version of the Church's Desktop configuration, which locks up the security configuration and does not, as far as I can tell, even allow any kind of networking setup or file sharing. In contrast, FHC computers are in a room that is open to the public many more hours per week, with essentially unlimited public access, and many more opportunities for an observer to see what the administrator password is when FHC staff logs on. (For convenience of the many staff members, our FHC uses the same Administrator password on all FHC computers.) Some of the more recent software innovations offered from SLC for FHC computers require Administrator or Power User privileges to run (this is a frequent discussion topic of FHCTECH group at Yahoo). Most FHCs of any size have a network set up among their computers, with file sharing turned on, and the standard FHC computer setup (on computers supplied by SLC or imaged with the FHC XP-image CDs that SLC provides) has no restrictions on networking or file sharing. The networking allows use of the huge IGI database by all computers, and sometimes for the even larger Pedigree Resource File database. Even if the FHC computer running MLS allows only non-Administrator access for FHC patrons, if file sharing is turned on, it is readily accessible from any of the other computers in the FHC.

Our stake is already committed to changing our FHC over to MLS. I am inclined to do the following until we get more specific instructions regarding security:
1) Turn off file sharing on the FHC computer running MLS, and isolate it from the FHC network, making it far less useful as a patron computer.
2) Use a different password for the FHC computer running MLS, and change it frequently.

Of course, if MLS is 100% secure, then all of these concerns are moot. However, MLS logon will also be potentially visible to observers in the FHC.

I look forward to getting more information about the FHC version of MLS. This is way above my paygrade, and it is very possible that my concerns have already been addressed in the software.

Thanks,
Michael Johnson
Rochester Minnesota Stake
SmithGW

FHC Finances

Post by SmithGW »

There is indeed a stripped-down version of MLS that is euphamistically called "Finance Only MLS" being worked on. It is my understanding that Family History Centers will be contacted when it is available. Probably better to wait for the official word and version.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I have to say that I also have concerns about installing MLS in a FHC. While we have a dedicated "office computer", I've found it necessary to restrict the worker's access to the machine. Otherwise new programs end up getting installed rather then helping the patrons. Currently MLS requires administrative access. That's going to be a problem.
pete_arnett-p40

FYI - If you have to use a newer desktop for an FHC administrative desktop that has more than 512 MB of memory, then you must use "MLS Finance Only" because REFIS will not run on newer desktops

Headquarters staff has said that "MLS Finance Only" will not be required for a while

Also, MLS 2.8 now has an audit form for FHC
USA

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”