User rights

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kjy1

User rights

Postby kjy1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Can anyone direct me to where there is an explanation or information regarding which callings should have what user rights in MLS?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:14 pm

You may want to read this thread.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

znauga

MLS User Rights

Postby znauga » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:30 am

kjy1 wrote:Can anyone direct me to where there is an explanation or information regarding which callings should have what user rights in MLS?

Church Policy is that members may not access their own Membership Record. Therefore I believe it is not appropriate that the right to view Membership Records or Individual Ordinance Summaries should be granted to Priesthood and Ward Auxiliary leaders. Only Organization access is necessary for them to fulfill their responsibilities.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:18 am

znauga wrote:Church Policy is that members may not access their own Membership Record.

That's stated a little strongly. Certainly the clerks have the ability to see their own membership records, and I've never seen anything against that.

I would agree that Edit Membership rights should not be given to the organizations. Such things should be funneled though the Membership Clerk. Otherwise there's changes that no one know how or why they were done.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:59 am

znauga wrote:Church Policy is that members may not access their own Membership Record.
I agree with RussellHltn that this statement is strongly worded. It would be good when making such a statement to provide a reference. MLS has a warning statement that pops up whenever a membership record is printed. It states:
Members may not have copies of their membership records. Under no circumstances may membership records be given to anyone other than the bishop or a clerk.

Although members may not have copies of their membership records, they a re encouraged to have copies of their Individual Ordinance Summary [IOS] for themselves and for any dependent children living at home.
This MLS message provides reference to an outdated source, the Church Handbook of Instructions (2006), p 145. I do not have Handbook 1 if front of me right now but I am reasonably sure it has similar wording.

znauga wrote:Therefore I believe it is not appropriate that the right to view Membership Records or Individual Ordinance Summaries should be granted to Priesthood and Ward Auxiliary leaders. Only Organization access is necessary for them to fulfill their responsibilities.
I would go with the wording provided in the MLS manual on page A-2 which says; "An MLS user should receive only those rights needed to perform his or her calling."
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

mfmohlma

Postby mfmohlma » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:30 am

jdlessley wrote: This MLS message provides reference to an outdated source, the Church Handbook of Instructions (2006), p 145. I do not have Handbook 1 if front of me right now but I am reasonably sure it has similar wording.

It does: Section 13.6.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”