Misprinted Check Without Expense Information

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
reece.walden

Misprinted Check Without Expense Information

Post by reece.walden »

I have searched diligently, but am unable to find information on my particular situation…forgive me if this has been covered before, and simply point me in the right direction.

Several months ago, in preparation of entering an expense and printing a check, I put the check stock for check # 105 into the printer. I then became side-tracked by a frantic R/S President, and ended up printing a class roll on the check stock. Getting back to the expense, I entered all the info, changed the “next check number” to 106, put the 106 check stock in the printer, and proceeded as usual. I manually voided the ruined 105 check stock, tore out the signature lines, etc., and filed it away. I did nothing further in MLS.

My question is…since the info for check 105 was never entered, I can’t void it in MLS. Check #105 is simply missing, electronically. What should I do at this late date? I thought of entering all the info for check 106 in a record for 105, printing 105 on plain paper, and THEN voiding it in MLS. Will this be ok, considering the dates for checks 105 and 106 will be months apart?

Thanks in advance for the help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

reece.walden wrote:My question is…since the info for check 105 was never entered, I can’t void it in MLS. Check #105 is simply missing, electronically. What should I do at this late date? I thought of entering all the info for check 106 in a record for 105, printing 105 on plain paper, and THEN voiding it in MLS. Will this be ok, considering the dates for checks 105 and 106 will be months apart?

You don't need to do anything beyond what you already have done.

There is no problem with skipping a check number in MLS because of a misprint. It's unlikely that anyone will ask about the missing check #105, but if an auditor or someone else does raise this question, you can show them the ruined check stock for #105 and that explains exactly what happened.

Also, if you go back to the expense report that corresponds to the batch of checks that included #105 and #106, you should see an entry that says #105 was misprinted. An auditor could review that as well.

You have done everything correctly, so you can simply relax now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
reece.walden

Post by reece.walden »

Thank you very much.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”