MLS Backup Location

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

H. Forth wrote:Also what you will not receive back from CHQ, will be all your EQ, HPG & RS HT / VT assignments and reported visits. You will not receive back any data typed into Custom Member Fields, such as, Response to HT/VT. Thus, all your peoples' efforts to identify "the seldom, if ever, seen" will be trashed, too.
If you're talking about the "refresh" you are correct. Are you talking about the backup that CHQ makes every 30 days? I would have expect that to be in there.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Are you talking about the backup that CHQ makes every 30 days? I would have expect that to be in there.
The backup CHQ makes each month does not affect anything (except the Send/Receive time). It is just like copying the latest file out of the mlsData-backup directory.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The backup CHQ makes each month does not affect anything (except the Send/Receive time). It is just like copying the latest file out of the mlsData-backup directory.
So if you asked CHQ to send you the file you should get back "all your EQ, HPG & RS HT / VT assignments and reported visits." and "any data typed into Custom Member Fields, such as, Response to HT/VT" correct? That's what I would have expected, but didn't have any first hand experience.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:So if you asked CHQ to send you the file you should get back ...
Should, and I think you would. I had a branch computer crater, they had no backups, and so CHQ triggered a download of their most recent backup, which was about 3 weeks old, to occur on the next Send/Receive.

Everything came back except the changes since the backup, and the two weeks of deposit information had to be entered again.
jfackerson

Wondered about 1st week of month long duration S & R

Post by jfackerson »

...Have used Task Manager to graphically view S & R between ward & CHQ.
During 1st week of month, I've often noticed a very long duration S & R,
involving lots of bytes Sent , displayed in color, RED, while
bytes Received, displayed in YELLOW, were much less in number.

No one mentioned or there was no notification that such monthly backups were even being done.

In any case, to catch up from being a month behind, in this ward,
would really require a lot of "overtime",
a. k. a. punishment, for not doing backups.

Case in point: On Sunday, May 11th, just after sending financials,
MLS prompted us that we had to backup.
Upon attempting to do backup, Windows XP Professional OS
gave us a Blue Screen of Death, containing message about
not being able to find some file named, NTOSKRNL.EXE.

That was Mothers' Day. Our Stake Clerk, came over for 3 hours + and re-imaged our C Drive.

Week, following this crash, we had to manually re-enter all financials done
previous week.

Since then, before sending financials to CHQ, we backup to hard drive and
then copy that file onto two or more Jump Drives.

Yes, MLS makes us repeat backup, after S & R, but that seems to be
a small price to pay to have something current to restore from removable media.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

H. Forth wrote:During 1st week of month,...
CHQ told me once that the wards are spread out over the month, so that all of the backups do not occur during the 1st week, although many do, and it appears your does.

I believe that most of the stakes receive their unit updates during the first Send/Receive of the month, but that their own backups go to SL at various times of the month, different from the unit update. Our backup seems to usually go up on the 2nd week of the month.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”