MLS Backup Location

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Humanriff-p40

Backups

Post by Humanriff-p40 »

I assume that in most cases the need to use a backup would probably stem from hard drive failure, and therefore preclude restoring the data from the hard drive. I backup every week to one of a set of 10 floppies that are rotated weekly and are kept in the office, and also to a flash drive that I keep at home. This seems to me that would it covers almost any contingency except the EMP scenario:eek:, in which case we are pretty much hosed anyway.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Humanriff wrote:I assume that in most cases the need to use a backup would probably stem from hard drive failure, and therefore preclude restoring the data from the hard drive.

Actually most problems reported where a backup was used was the corruption of the MLS database and not a hard drive failure. But it is still a good idea to back up on external media.
Humanriff wrote:This seems to me that would it covers almost any contingency except the EMP scenario:eek:, in which case we are pretty much hosed anyway.

Keep your backups in a fareday cage (Grounded solid metal box) and you should have a working backup, albeit if you are not storing a computer and MLS software in one then it won't help you much.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Keep your backups in a fareday cage (Grounded solid metal box) and you should have a working backup, albeit if you are not storing a computer and MLS software in one then it won't help you much.
I briefly studied EMP issues. It's not as bad as some think. As long as you disconnect all cables, most things will survive.

(Given the odds of EMP, is this post a record for most off-topic? :D)
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:(Given the odds of EMP, is this post a record for most off-topic? :D)

No since it deals with backuping and storage of backup to maintain usability of backups. However, asking if something is off-topic I think makes it close to one of the most off-topic posts.
- David
rstringh-p40

Post by rstringh-p40 »

Humanriff wrote:I assume that in most cases the need to use a backup would probably stem from hard drive failure, and therefore preclude restoring the data from the hard drive. I backup every week to one of a set of 10 floppies that are rotated weekly and are kept in the office, and also to a flash drive that I keep at home. This seems to me that would it covers almost any contingency except the EMP scenario:eek:, in which case we are pretty much hosed anyway.

I recently purchased 1GB Flash Drives for all the computers in our Stake and gave them instructions on doing their backups to them. The same flash drive is always connected to the back of the computer and is used for every backup. I am not concerned with using the same flash drive because Flash Drives are much more reliable than Floppes and if MLS gets corrupt or you have a hard drive failure then you are still covered. In the rare case that the building gets destroyed them we would be hosed and in addition to getting a new computer we would get the info back from the Church site.
Jeremy-p40

Post by Jeremy-p40 »

rstringh wrote:I recently purchased 1GB Flash Drives for all the computers in our Stake and gave them instructions on doing their backups to them. The same flash drive is always connected to the back of the computer and is used for every backup. I am not concerned with using the same flash drive because Flash Drives are much more reliable than Floppes and if MLS gets corrupt or you have a hard drive failure then you are still covered. In the rare case that the building gets destroyed them we would be hosed and in addition to getting a new computer we would get the info back from the Church site.
The problem with that is if your computer gets stolen. If you flash drive is always connected to the computer, and someone steals your computer, you have lost everything, and compromised confidential information. We keep our flash drive in a locked metal cabinet so at least there's some security. The other concern is that you can't rely on headquarters for a current backup. Their system only takes a backup every 30 days or so, on a rotating basis; so if you ask them for a backup, they can only send you what they have, which can be 30 days in the past, and that leaves you with a lot of information to have to reenter (donation batches, checks, home and visiting teaching, etc). Trust me - one of our wards didn't have a secured backup either on- or off-site when their computer was stolen, and they had to re-enter a month's worth of data because the only backup available was the 30-day-old headquarters one.
:D Happy to serve
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Jeremy wrote:The problem with that is if your computer gets stolen. If you flash drive is always connected to the computer, and someone steals your computer, you have lost everything, and compromised confidential information. We keep our flash drive in a locked metal cabinet so at least there's some security.

That's what we do as well. I find the flash drive themselves are too easily "borrowed", even when plugged into the rear of a machine.

Jeremy wrote:The other concern is that you can't rely on headquarters for a current backup. Their system only takes a backup every 30 days or so, on a rotating basis; so if you ask them for a backup, they can only send you what they have, which can be 30 days in the past, and that leaves you with a lot of information to have to reenter (donation batches, checks, home and visiting teaching, etc)...

That's amazing. I just assumed their financial database was kept tightly in sync with each unit's database (like the membership side is). I had no idea there was a possibility of a 30-day lag in synchronization. Makes even more sense why each unit is requested to do a backup anytime financial changes are made.
wadeburt

Post by wadeburt »

We are rotating the USB Drives through the Stake Cneter. The units keep their USB drive in a locked file cabinet. High Councilors are supposed to secure their rotating copy.

I was always told CHQ could not easily be depended on for a solid realtime backup.
Wade E. Burt
Gallatin Ward High Priest Group Leader
james_francisco

MLS Backups

Post by james_francisco »

A locked file cabinet in the building is not sufficient to protect the backups for disaster recovery. Suppose the building burns down like the building in Mesa, AZ did recently. At least one copy of the weekly backup needs to be kept offsite. With offsite storage of a backup, a total loss of the meetinghouse will not cause problems with reconstitution of the ward or stake records.

James Francisco

wadeburt wrote:We are rotating the USB Drives through the Stake Cneter. The units keep their USB drive in a locked file cabinet. High Councilors are supposed to secure their rotating copy.

I was always told CHQ could not easily be depended on for a solid realtime backup.
Skyhawk-p40

Post by Skyhawk-p40 »

Once again, I think all these questions are answered in the Handbook. One copy needs to be kept externally (locked in the leader's office) and another copy needs to be kept away from the building. Any other copies, as long as they follow confidentiality protocol, are "extra credit." :) Let's make sure we are doing the necessary steps first.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”