MLS Training Ward/Stake

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
wadeburt

MLS Training Ward/Stake

Post by wadeburt »

We use the training Ward and Stake (108 and 2224445 respectively) extensively to learn and train MLS in many of our units. With 4 Assistant Clerks, this is an important tool for me to be able to keep everyone up to date on the rapidly changing technologies within the Church.

The Stake Executive Secretary and I were going over some issues since 2.7 came out and have noticed that Ward 108 does not accurately reflect the way production MLS works. For one, under users, there is no choice to view or edit temple recommend. For another, the wrong options are available in membership. This occurs on 3 different laptops, as well as the Stake Computer.

Is unit 108 still a valid training unit? What can I do to get the MLS training unit software to accurately reflect production software performance again?
Wade E. Burt
Gallatin Ward High Priest Group Leader
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

As for the view and edit recommend capability of the 108 test unit, you are correct. Because all worldwide units use that test unit, and the new recommend process has only been in limited rollout, it has been a conscious decision to exclude it for now. Once it is rolled out everywhere that capability will be included in 108. I'm not sure about the other issue. It should be working, I'll look into it.
wadeburt

Post by wadeburt »

Outstanding !!!

This forum is amazing. What a GREAT way for me to get answers !!! Keep up the good work !
Wade E. Burt
Gallatin Ward High Priest Group Leader
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

wadeburt wrote:We use the training Ward and Stake (108 and 2224445 respectively) extensively to learn and train MLS in many of our units. With 4 Assistant Clerks, this is an important tool for me to be able to keep everyone up to date on the rapidly changing technologies within the Church
The training database is very useful, however, I've discovered something unique about it. It doesn't simulate an actual transmission (send/receive). Apparently the information is being generated from within the program (MLS) itself.

To test this theory I disabled the Internet connection and then did a transmittal. No complaints - it just went on like nothing was wrong. I had removed my messages prior to doing the transmit, and new messages (the same ones) were back again.

The training is still effective as it give a newcomer an easy, protected environment to figure out how thing work. It would be better if it did an actual transmission.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:The training database is very useful, however, I've discovered something unique about it. It doesn't simulate an actual transmission (send/receive). Apparently the information is being generated from within the program (MLS) itself.

To test this theory I disabled the Internet connection and then did a transmittal. No complaints - it just went on like nothing was wrong. I had removed my messages prior to doing the transmit, and new messages (the same ones) were back again.

The training is still effective as it give a newcomer an easy, protected environment to figure out how thing work. It would be better if it did an actual transmission.

What are you expecting to happen during an "actual transmission" for the test data?

Since every test ward shares the unit number 108, I don't see how it would be practical for the Church to actually receive any transmission for that unit -- every test unit database will have different data.

Personally, I find it extremely useful that it only simulates a transmission. I am often doing training where I don't have an internet connection. It would be annoying if a connection were required. MLS when running with the test units explains that it will only do a simulated transmission. It just creates a couple of MLS messages. That lets you know that the Send/Receive "happened." Every time you transmit, you get the same two messages again. That is by design.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I agree. I was just making a point that there's no actual transmission.
The program is very useful from a training perspective.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

wadeburt wrote:We use the training Ward and Stake (108 and 2224445 respectively) extensively to learn and train MLS in many of our units. With 4 Assistant Clerks, this is an important tool for me to be able to keep everyone up to date on the rapidly changing technologies within the Church.

A number of threads have been started requesting assistance with MLS issues. For those who may not be aware of it additional information regarding training can be obtained HERE.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Some of those training lessons should be installed on the church computer. Depending on the model you have, you may need to plug in some speakers or a set of headphone to hear the audio. Or you can turn on a closed-captioning like option and read it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Some of those training lessons should be installed on the church computer. Depending on the model you have, you may need to plug in some speakers or a set of headphone to hear the audio. Or you can turn on a closed-captioning like option and read it.

This is true, but unfortunately the downloadable version of the lessons has not been updated in a very long while (September 2007 for English), even though several of the online lessons have been updated since.

It is interesting to note that in the last few days the training page has been restructured. Now it has seveal of the PDF versions of the lessons immediately accessible (although why it does not include all of them is beyond me, since the files exist on lds.org and so it is just a simple link). Also, the MLS Software Manual is now included along with the other documents at the bottom of the training page.

So it's making progress, but I sure wish the download could get updated more often. I might be oversimplifying, but it seems like if a new lesson can be uploaded to lds.org, it could pretty easily be added to the download.
tasipalet

Re: MLS Training Ward/Stake

Post by tasipalet »

MAY I ASK YOU FOR FAVOR PLEASE..I REALLY NEED TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO CREATED THE PASSWORD OF THE STAKE AND THE WARD CLERK CALLING

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”