MLS Is Deleting People

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
elderbetita

Post by elderbetita »

Jimmer wrote:There is a chance that your membership files need to be updated. Try doing a request unit refresh data.
To restore the files click on File- Request Unit Refresh Data. From the box that pops up select the files you'd like to have refreshed and click 'OK'. The next time you do a send/receive this request will be submitted to HQ. Wait a few hours and do another send/receive to get the results of that request for new membership records.

The other thing that you could do is have your bishop call headquarters and search for the record that you have created. I don't think that they can give you membership information but I know that they can for the bishop.

Hope this helps
Can this be done also with the lost financial report? One of the branches in our district had problem with their computer wherein the MLS did not work. The Area Office has requested that the computer be brought back to the HQ for repairs. That branch had to use the other branch computer for reporting. However, when the backup was installed it lacked some financial data because the clerk forgot to do a backup of their last report before their computer had troubles. Do you think doing a Request Unit Refresh Data would help us with the problem?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

elderbetita wrote:However, when the backup was installed it lacked some financial data because the clerk forgot to do a backup of their last report before their computer had troubles. Do you think doing a Request Unit Refresh Data would help us with the problem?
Probably not, but I don't think it would hurt to try.

There's a big difference between financial and membership data: Financial information is created at the unit level and transmitted to the Area Office. Membership *changes* are created at the unit level, but sent to the Area Office for processing. The ward's membership data is just a subset of the master membership record held at the Area Office. So you can resyc from nothing and get most of the membership data (but not things like callings HT/VT data.)

If the computer hasn't been sent off yet, you migth be able to salvage the data directory from the old machine.
Jimmer-p40

Post by Jimmer-p40 »

elderbetita wrote:Can this be done also with the lost financial report? One of the branches in our district had problem with their computer wherein the MLS did not work. The Area Office has requested that the computer be brought back to the HQ for repairs. That branch had to use the other branch computer for reporting. However, when the backup was installed it lacked some financial data because the clerk forgot to do a backup of their last report before their computer had troubles. Do you think doing a Request Unit Refresh Data would help us with the problem?

Unfortunately, the refresh will only work with membership files. I had to restore from an old backup because of some corrupted data once and HQ told me to do a request unit refresh data to restore the membership data, but then I would have to re-enter the financial data. They said that the financial data is not all contained at HQ and cannot always be updated accurately because of the information that is held at the banks. So if you have to renter financial data, checks can be re-entered and then printed on regular paper. The deposits have to be called in after you have re-entered them so that they don't pull the money out a second time.

Hope this helps
elderbetita

Post by elderbetita »

If the computer hasn't been sent off yet, you migth be able to salvage the data directory from the old machine.
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. How can I do this salvaging when their was no backup? Or this idea... reenter the financial data.
Unfortunately, the refresh will only work with membership files. I had to restore from an old backup because of some corrupted data once and HQ told me to do a request unit refresh data to restore the membership data, but then I would have to re-enter the financial data. They said that the financial data is not all contained at HQ and cannot always be updated accurately because of the information that is held at the banks. So if you have to renter financial data, checks can be re-entered and then printed on regular paper. The deposits have to be called in after you have re-entered them so that they don't pull the money out a second time.
Thank you for the idea. so it is okay then if we reenter the financial data again?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

elderbetita wrote:Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. How can I do this salvaging when their was no backup? Or this idea... reenter the financial data.
Somewhere under C:\Program Files\LDS Church you'll find a folder called "Units". In that folder is a folder containing your unit number. In that folder is the data file plus some internal backups that MLS made on it's own. Grab that Unit # folder and place it on the new machine.

Assuming the data is not corrupt, you can pick up where you left off before the old machine died. If the data is corrupt, then delete then use one of the older data directories.
elderbetita

Post by elderbetita »

Thanks for all your help. I'll try what you told me. Thanks again.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”