Bug with changing category for expense, for Distribution Center orders

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
LavaPhoenix

Bug with changing category for expense, for Distribution Center orders

Post by LavaPhoenix »

In MLS when I receive an expense via CUBS for a Distribution Center order that was placed, it takes it out of category "Budget: Distribution Center Charges".

I like to change the category from the default category to the appropriate category that the expense belongs to. I change it by viewing the expense from the “View/Update Expenses” page and changing the category to the appropriate category.

Every time I do this, MLS will eventually change the expense amounts to split amongst the original category and the category I changed it to. I then have to fix the expense amounts. This has happened with about ten expenses so far and is always the exact same every time. It becomes a two step process.

Here are the details of what happens:
1. CUBS puts expense into MLS in category "Budget: Distribution Center Charges". Lets say it is $60.00.
2. I change the category from "Budget: Distribution Center Charges" to something like “Budget:Administration”, enter a reason why changing, and save.
3. Eventually MLS will change the expense to show -$60.00 from "Budget: Distribution Center Charges" and $120.00 for “Budget:Administration”. The total expense is still $60.00 because $120.00 + -$60.00 = $60.00. This happens in about a week after send and receives are done in MLS. I am not sure exactly when.
4. I change the "Budget: Distribution Center Charges" from -$60.00 to $0.00 and change the “Budget:Administration” from $120.00 to $60.00, enter a reason why changing, and save.
5. Expense is now fixed and no longer changes.

This happens the exact same when CUBS creates an expense out of the “Other:Authorized Member Financed Activities” for Family History Center expenses, like microfilm.

Does anyone else have this issue?
SmithonVI

Post by SmithonVI »

Hi Lavaphoenix,

Yes, I'm seeing the same result when I change the category for DC charges. It looks like a bug in MLS to me. As a workaround, I've just changed a DC order by first changing the amount to zero, then adding a second category line with the new category and the original amount. I notice that when I save it the "zero'd" line disappears and only the new category line remains.
LavaPhoenix

Post by LavaPhoenix »

I will try the method you mention the next time I have a DC expense. Thanks for the workaround. I also want to check if this bug has been fixed with MLS 3.4.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

I'm running MLS 3.4 and seeing the same problem. Having said that, I don't think I've done a category change since downloading 3.4. I'll watch the next one I do.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

It may be worth mentioning that I know the finance folks at Church HQ are aware of this. I've called a couple times, once for a ward and once the stake (both a few months ago), and they said they were working on it. Another way of avoiding the odd balances is to just use transfers to move money around, though that means you have things show up in DCC where a category change would just make them all go away. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. It MAY be worth reporting this via phone since I'm not sure how closely things are watched here by those trying to work around this bug.

As a note when I called I confirmed that what we're all trying to do is the right way to adjust expenses so, for what it's worth, there you go.
AB
SmithonVI

Post by SmithonVI »

Well, I checked today and found that what I had thought was a valid workaround didn't work around. I still had to do the "2nd step" correction. Oh well (sigh).
dnslynn

Post by dnslynn »

I'm also seeing this bug in my 3.4 for Distribution Center charges to Budget and also to Other (I'm a stake clerk and get charges for microfilm rental for out FHC to the Other:AMFA account).
LavaPhoenix

Post by LavaPhoenix »

I also am still seeing the bug for MLS 3.4. The workaround didn't work for me either.
LavaPhoenix

Post by LavaPhoenix »

Today I just noticed that MLS has changed the total cost on 2 of my Distribution Center orders placed back in Q1 2011. Awhile ago I changed the categories with the method as stated in the beginning of this thread but some time since then, MLS has changed the amounts for the categories such that the overall total for the expenses are no longer right and I can not fix it because MLS will not let me change an expense to a different total amount. This is the first time I have seen the total amount change from changes made to the categories. I have only seen it change the amounts in each of the individual categories so that in the end, the overall total is always the same.

On one expense, it was originally $72.50. But now it is $-57.50. So for this expense, my ward budget is being paid $57.50 for the expense. On the other expense, it was originally $91.50 but now it is $43.50. I was charged $48.00 too little. So in the end, my budget account now has $178.00 more than it should. I have sent an email to my stake with the details of this error to see if my expense totals can be fixed since I can't change the overall total of the expenses.

Has anyone else seen changes to DC orders such that the total of the expense is now incorrect?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

lavaphoenix wrote:Has anyone else seen changes to DC orders such that the total of the expense is now incorrect?
Perhaps - I am noticing all my DC charges are showing as voided and $0.00 in my View/Update expense screen.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”