Multiple Cell Phone Support in MLS?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

mkmurray wrote:...

I guess it goes to show that you really need individual phone numbers for everyone. I'm not quite sure how to resolve this primary number issue. It appears each individual family needs to make the decision, or at least each individual ward.
I'm not sure whether it was in this or another thread, but I seem to recall someone saying their ward made the convention to put the individual (cell) phone number in the preferred first name, so that David Smith might have a preferred name of "Dave (801-555-1212)". Of course, the best solution will be when MLS and LUWS support at least one phone number per individual. I think I recall someone saying that would eventually happen.
mkmurray wrote:Stay-at-Home-Mom, you silly...
I didn't think name-calling was allowed in the forum. ;-)
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

geek wrote:My teenagers and college student and I each have a cell phone. Like others in our family ward, we did not change our area codes when we moved.

Not speaking as a clerk, but speaking as an individual -- people need to have at least one local number when they move to a new ward. Not everyone has a cell phone (or even wants to use it), and it's tremendously bothersome to a lot of people when they are asked to pay long-distance charges to call someone who moved in three blocks away.

I seem to see this a lot recently with 801 area codes.

Until the word is truly flooded with cell phones with unlimited long-distance, members should provide wards with a local contact number.

Just my opinion.

The landline carrier in our area doesn't charge extra for long distance calls within the USA (where I'm located), nor do cell phone companies. Either way, there is no additional charge.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scion wrote:The landline carrier in our area doesn't charge extra for long distance calls within the USA (where I'm located), nor do cell phone companies. Either way, there is no additional charge.
Well, perhaps not in your area, but I have not found a carrier where I live that provides free long-distance. I know the cell phone folks mostly get "free nights and weekends", but we land-liners do not yet have that, unless we pay dearly for it.

In fact, one major carrier that had a simple nationwide calling plan (land-line) did away with the service a few months ago. It is no longer available.

Larry Jackson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I have not found a carrier where I live that provides free long-distance.
I can find one, but then I have to get a phone from the cable company. That involves some trade-offs I don't want to make.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:Stay-at-Home-Mom, you silly...
Got it. I've never seen that acronym before.

I guess I should have googled it, but I though it was church-specific. :o
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

ensign_avenger wrote:If people would just use e-mail, life would be much simpler!
It could be if MLS would support more than one email address per family. I have been requesting the phone number and email fixes to MLS since we first converted to MLS more than five years ago. It is by far the most requested feature improvement I have seen in the email lists and forums.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rpyne wrote:I have been requesting the phone number and email fixes to MLS since we first converted to MLS more than five years ago. It is by far the most requested feature improvement I have seen in the email lists and forums.
I think the day is coming (or rather, is actually here) where we need a way to record individual phone numbers and individual e-mail addresses. A member of the family that does not have one or the other might then default to the head of household.

We need this both in MLS and at the LUWS. We have a couple serving in two key leadership positions in our stake that do not have a land line. We cannot put the correct phone numbers in place for them to be called without one referring all calls to the other.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

lajackson wrote:I think the day is coming (or rather, is actually here) where we need a way to record individual phone numbers and individual e-mail addresses. A member of the family that does not have one or the other might then default to the head of household.

We need this both in MLS and at the LUWS. We have a couple serving in two key leadership positions in our stake that do not have a land line. We cannot put the correct phone numbers in place for them to be called without one referring all calls to the other.
Somewhere on this forum, I have seen a suggestion to put the individual phone numbers in the 'preferred name' field on MLS and/or LUWS. I don't know how well it works, but it might be worth a try.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rmrichesjr wrote:Somewhere on this forum, I have seen a suggestion to put the individual phone numbers in the 'preferred name' field on MLS and/or LUWS. I don't know how well it works, but it might be worth a try.
Has anyone actually done this? I do not think I would want to. There are many reports, especially in MLS, where I would just prefer to have the preferred name, and not a phone number tagging along.
Eric Werny-p40

More fields for Cellphone and E-mails

Post by Eric Werny-p40 »

I just posted this in another section. Thought I would post it here. It looks like we have been talking about it for a long time. Here Goes

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=808

I am proposing an idea that I would like to see discussed. I have found it frustrating for such organizations such a Relief Society, Young Men and Young Women, for their leaders to make
contact with them through the parents. When you have an inactive or less active Father in the
home many of the message are not passed on. I have heard of instances where visiting teachers
wishing to make an appointment with a sisters and only having the husband cell number listed on the ward list made it impossible to make contact.

The way the system is now, you have enough room to put on two phone number, but not enough room to say who they belong too.

What do you think of the idea of providing fields for each family member with phone number and e-mail address.

These numbers would only be show on the master membership report that would only be distributed to
the Bishopric and Ward Council members.

What are your thoughts on this?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”