Bilingual MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Hilohi
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Bilingual MLS

Postby Hilohi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Our ward is a Spanish-speaking ward, but our MLS is in English. Lately, some of the menu options and reports are in Spanish. Particularly, our ward's monthly finance report has been printing in Spanish. How can I change our MLS so that everything is in English?

By the way, I've checked the language setting in the product.properties file and it is set to English.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14690
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:26 pm

hilohi wrote:Our ward is a Spanish-speaking ward, but our MLS is in English. Lately, some of the menu options and reports are in Spanish. Particularly, our ward's monthly finance report has been printing in Spanish. How can I change our MLS so that everything is in English?

By the way, I've checked the language setting in the product.properties file and it is set to English.


Menu options should be in the MLS language that you checked in product.properties. I can't imagine why you would see any menu options in Spanish.

But the actual finance report is a totally different story. That report is not generated by MLS. Rather, it is generated by the CUBS system and downloaded to your MLS. I'm sure that the language that the financial report is generated in is the unit's primary language. If you have access to CDOL, you can check out the language for the unit under General Information for the unit. Even if the unit's language is Spanish, it may be possible to request that the statements are generated in English. You'd need to contact Local Unit Support for that request.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Hilohi
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Postby Hilohi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:14 pm

aebrown wrote:Menu options should be in the MLS language that you checked in product.properties. I can't imagine why you would see any menu options in Spanish.

But the actual finance report is a totally different story. That report is not generated by MLS. Rather, it is generated by the CUBS system and downloaded to your MLS. I'm sure that the language that the financial report is generated in is the unit's primary language. If you have access to CDOL, you can check out the language for the unit under General Information for the unit. Even if the unit's language is Spanish, it may be possible to request that the statements are generated in English. You'd need to contact Local Unit Support for that request.


Thanks for the reply. I'll contact our LUS regarding our financial statements.

By the way, I was incorrect in stating that some of the MLS menu options and reports were in Spanish, as they are all in English. However, I did notice that the names of the various countries in the drop-down menu [on the address screen] are in Spanish. Do you know how I can change that to English? I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal, but it does urk me a little. :p

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14690
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:05 am

hilohi wrote:I did notice that the names of the various countries in the drop-down menu [on the address screen] are in Spanish. Do you know how I can change that to English?


The list of countries is downloaded to MLS, and can be downloaded again via a Unit Data Refresh. I'm sure the language that CHQ chooses to send that list in is the language that they think your unit uses. So I'm guessing that fixing your financial statement language will fix the country list as well, but you should mention both to Local Unit Support.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

mlenz65
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Postby mlenz65 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:55 pm

In preparing and printing the "Sustained Officers" form for our Branch (Spanish) conference, the MLS program only prints in English. I have tried changing the language code with no change in the results. How can I get this report/form to print in Spanish?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14690
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 pm

mlenz65 wrote:In preparing and printing the "Sustained Officers" form for our Branch (Spanish) conference, the MLS program only prints in English. I have tried changing the language code with no change in the results. How can I get this report/form to print in Spanish?


Even with MLS running in English, you should be able to print most reports in Spanish. For example, when I go to Reports/Forms > Officers Sustained Forms, I see the following dialog, and I can select Spanish from the drop down in the upper right corner:
osform.jpg
osform.jpg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 134 times


Do you not have that dropdown for selecting the language?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

mlenz65
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Postby mlenz65 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:29 pm

I do have that dropdown and it works great! Thank you for your help.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest