Internet Connection for MLS?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

More memory seems to help quite a bit. But keep track of how old your machine is, because I think many are due to get replaced next year.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:More memory seems to help quite a bit. But keep track of how old your machine is, because I think many are due to get replaced next year.
Also, make sure the antivirus definitions are updated quarterly. That way Symantec won't be trying to jump on every time when you are doing MLS Send & Receives.
rknelson

Desktop 5.5 not supported on some newer Dell machines

Post by rknelson »

Desktop 5.5 does not support some of the newer Dell machines we have (it fails to install indicating the machine is not supported). Support indicated that there will not be a version released to support these new machines (I don't have the Dell model number with me right now). They just said to make sure we have the latest patches installed and by so doing we would comply with the desktop 5.5 requirement.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

There has been alot of press about Vista and problems with running software that was created for XP and earlier, and also that some 32bit software won't run under a 64bit OS, for example, I'm involved in music production, and some of the plugins used with the VST host we're using won't run on a 64bit platform. Is the Desktop 5.5 issue related to maybe the Dells having Vista on them, 32bit vs 64bit OS issues, or is it just simply the hardware?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The only problem I'm aware of is with the Dell 740 and that the CD image is unable to boot using the internal CD. If an external (USB) CD-ROM is used, then the Desktop can be installed.

Desktop 5.5 is an image that complete wipes anything on the drive, reformats, repartitions and loads a customized WinXP image.

While CHQ is allowing machines that can't load Desktop 5.5 to continue, it's not as secure as having 5.5. Hopefully the problems will be resolved so when CHQ does come up with a new Desktop, it can be installed on all machines.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:The only problem I'm aware of is with the Dell 740 and that the CD image is unable to boot using the internal CD. If an external (USB) CD-ROM is used, then the Desktop can be installed.
I don't know about Desktop 5.5, but changing the BIOS setting for the optical drive from AHCI to ATA has helped for some Linux distros.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

The recent policy announcement on Feb 11, 2008 regarding connecting administrative computers to an existing high speed Internet line is a bit confusing. From my perspective the CCN's contain special hardware for the purpose of blocking unwanted communications and to provide a higher level of protection.

A standard cable/dsl line in a building is NOT a CCN and is not to be connected to any administrative computers in the building.

At some future date I would expect this policy to be changed. The desktop security packages certainly provide a high level of protection and being able to use a high speed line would be a boost to the slow dial-ups that are currently employed for MLS communications.

:)
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

These CCN connections talked about in the policy have a cisco firewall behind the DSL demark.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:The recent policy announcement on Feb 11, 2008 regarding connecting administrative computers to an existing high speed Internet line is a bit confusing.
What do you find confusing?

A CCN will use a common DSL or cable broadband connection. There should not be a broadband connection except that it has the Cisco PIX box to make it a CCN. No one/ward/stake should be installing their own Internet access. So there shouldn't be any Internet connection outside of a CCN.
rsamis-p40

New step foreward

Post by rsamis-p40 »

This policy letter gives some new leeway for units in buildings with CCNs. Now we just have to wait for the OK to put new CCNs in the buildings that don't have them yet!
06809_000_notice.pdf
(20 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”