Two members living together but not married

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
nathangg

Two members living together but not married

Post by nathangg »

What options do we have for two members that are living together but aren't married in regards to the household records?

Right now they are in the same household with the brother (e.g. "Brother Smith") as the head of house and the sister (e.g. "Sister Jones") as a household member.

But, it seems like another option would be to separate out this brother and sister and make them their own households but they'd have the same address. (So, "Sister Jones" would be her own household, separate from "Brother Smith").

Is there any other options that we should be aware of? I didn't think it appropriate to have them "married" in MLS just so that their names show up next to each other on ward lists and directories.

I was going to present the "two separate households" option to the bishop as the direction we should go in, unless there is another option OR a right way to do this.

Thanks~!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you were to put them in the same household, I think the sister would end up as "other". But only an eagle-eyed person would see the difference in indentation between "spouse" and "other" in a ward listing.

I think two separate households is the way to go. Note that it's perfectly acceptable to have an adult child living at home be their own household, so I don't see any problems with listing brother and sister separately.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

nathangg wrote:What options do we have for two members that are living together but aren't married in regards to the household records?...

But, it seems like another option would be to separate out this brother and sister and make them their own households but they'd have the same address. (So, "Sister Jones" would be her own household, separate from "Brother Smith").
This is how we handle single adults who live in the same apartment/address, whether or not they are family. Each one is their own household.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”