MLS 3.3 login failure

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:The only thing I can think of is a virus of some kind.
Or (as was mentioned in the referenced WIKI article) someone hitting the kill switch on a power strip before MLS can gracefully shutdown.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:Or (as was mentioned in the referenced WIKI article) someone hitting the kill switch on a power strip before MLS can gracefully shutdown.

That can certainly cause problems, but it strikes me as unlikely to cause this problem. Keep in mind it's not the MLS data getting corrupted, but the OS itself.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jshuppy

MLS Login Failure

Post by jshuppy »

I have had two reports of login failure from two different Wards after an MLS update this last Sunday (Mar 7th). Both are on new Windows 7 machines with 3.3. Is there a known problem with the recent MLS update? I haven't actually been to the machines yet to see the problem myself.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jshuppy wrote:I have had two reports of login failure from two different Wards after an MLS update this last Sunday (Mar 7th). Both are on new Windows 7 machines with 3.3. Is there a known problem with the recent MLS update? I haven't actually been to the machines yet to see the problem myself.

I'd be curious if the Windows account used to run MLS has Windows Admin rights. The recent notes indicates that MLS 3.3 allows running from non-admin accounts. It's not that hard to get a program to run in a non-admin account, but I'm wondering on how that works when you have a update?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

VCDaBell

Post by VCDaBell »

I'm curious about the virus thing too. Sophos is updated and it is online. It did have a problem before these two MLS logon problems. Someone had installed/acquired a batch file that had created 32,767 directories on the Desktop. It was looping, using the random number generator for the name of the directories. It had used all the 32,000 plus random numbers and was failing to create new directories...until....you deleted a bunch. Then it would just create them again when their number came up.

I'm tentatively waiting to see what happens next.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

VCDaBell wrote:I'm curious about the virus thing too. Sophos is updated and it is online. It did have a problem before these two MLS logon problems. Someone had installed/acquired a batch file that had created 32,767 directories on the Desktop. It was looping, using the random number generator for the name of the directories. It had used all the 32,000 plus random numbers and was failing to create new directories...until....you deleted a bunch. Then it would just create them again when their number came up.

I'm tentatively waiting to see what happens next.
OK, that does sound like a virus. How was that issue resolved? I would not count on Sophos cleaning up an infection. I'm not blaming Sophos entirely. Not all antivirus and and antimalware software are 100% in detecting, preventing, or removing everything. Until the virus is eliminated there is likely to be continued side effects such as the MLS logon issue.

While it may sound like a drastic thing to do, wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the system and programs may be the best solution. However, this option will require several hours to accomplish and the working files and backups for all programs need to be saved to removable media.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
blakea12

Re: MLS 3.3 login failure

Post by blakea12 »

I'm Auolota Sione Blake the ward clerk and also the Bishop's 2nd Counselor of Haveluloto 4th ward. I'm the one who try to print a check then suddenly the power off and its take almost 3 hours before its on and left the computer without shutting down.. right now i can't able to log in to the MLS
blakea12

Post by blakea12 »

I was about to print a check on Friday but the power off for all Tongan while im trying to print and i left the computer the way the power is off... I really wana use the MLS for printing a check
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

You need to contact the Global Service Center:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/suppor ... tion-tonga

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”