Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination & Certificate

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

In our Stake, our Stake Clerks use the unit-to-unit
messaging function of MLS to send us the ordination
information. That way the information gets to us
directly. Then they ask for us to reply to the message
once we have entered the ordinance. They still
print the certificate at the Stake, and have the
High Councilman deliver it when he comes, but the
entering is done by us.

- Atticus Ewig
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

atticusewig wrote:In our Stake, our Stake Clerks use the unit-to-unit
messaging function of MLS to send us the ordination
information.
What's the turn around time on that? I've heard stories about it very unreasonable long. Not sure if it was isolated or not.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

RussellHltn wrote:What's the turn around time on that? I've heard stories about it very unreasonable long. Not sure if it was isolated or not.
Turn around is usually about a month, unless we are really lucky, and the High Council
Speaker is coming in a week or two, then we get it sooner. Usually, it is done at the
Stake Level at the longest amount of time until the next visit from High Council Speaker.
Which in our stake is about once a month.

- Atticus Ewig
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

atticusewig wrote:Turn around is usually about a month, unless we are really lucky, and the High Council
Speaker is coming in a week or two, then we get it sooner.
Sorry, I was asking about the speed of the MLS unit-to-unit email function.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

The MLS unit-to-unit function turnaround is often less than a week.
Basically, the next time someone logs into the Stake
Computer and Sends/Recieves, they get a "New
Messsages to read" dialog box.
A few versions of MLS back, it wasn't a usuable option -
we used convential email then - but now it is
quick enough.

- Atticus Ewig
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Great! Good to know the MLS email is usable.
combblai

Post by combblai »

In our stake the HC delivers a copy of the form to the ward. The membership clerk updates MLS and prints the certificate. The certificate is then given to the HC for signature by the "Stake Representative". Once the signature is in place the HC delivers the cert to the member. Turn-around is usually 3-4 weeks depending on the HC.

Also, we record each pending priesthood ordination (MP & AP) on a form which is used to followup in order to insure MLS was updated and cert given to member. We do the same for callings and baby blessings. This has been very helpful in not letting these events fall thru the cracks.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

combblai wrote:Turn-around is usually 3-4 weeks depending on the HC.
If MLS allowed the stake clerk to update membership information, even if it was just limited to Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations, it could be done on the day with the certificate also presented then and there, resulting in reduced administration which I think is one of the prime purposes of utilising technology. The technology would also be in line with church policy rather than it causing us to find workarounds.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

cottrells wrote:If MLS allowed the stake clerk to update membership information, even if it was just limited to Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations, it could be done on the day with the certificate also presented then and there, resulting in reduced administration which I think is one of the prime purposes of utilising technology. The technology would also be in line with church policy rather than it causing us to find workarounds.
I agree that MLS should allow the Stake to record the MP ordination; But even though
it doesn't, there is nothing stopping the Stake from printing a certificate, getting it signed,
and presenting it "then and there".
The "Print Certificate" menu allows you to manually fill in all the information so you can print out
the certificate. The annoying thing would be to make sure that the Ward Clerk enters
the information you provide him regarding the ordinance. Some clerks are more timely than
others.
Who knows, perhaps the next workaround will be the Stake will be able to use the
LanDesk remote-control feature of the new desktop image to enter in the ordinance as
the "Ward Clerk".

- Atticus Ewig
Obi Hyer-p40

Have automated report at Stake level

Post by Obi Hyer-p40 »

I sent in an enhancement suggestion via MLS and the MLS website that the stake should get a printout every time a ward recorded a Melchizedek Priesthood ordination, similar to the way that the wards get a printout whenever membership information is updated. That way, I would know when the wards did record the ordination so I could then print the certificate.

We really need some help with this process through MLS in some way though. I have talked to HQ support and they couldn't give me any good ideas on how to best solve the problem. I've gotten more ideas reading through this forum than I have any other way. Hopefully we will get some help in MLS with this soon.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”