MLS Send/Receive Questions and Enhancments

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sammythesm

MLS Send/Receive Questions and Enhancments

Post by sammythesm »

Oftentimes when I send/receive MLS, I get reports that print showing a family or individual and under their name it says " - Individual Record Printed". The next thing it asks me if I want to print out is their records/IOSs.

What is this? What printing of the record is MLS detecting, because it doesn't seem like it's linked to anything I'm doing at the unit.

As an enhancement suggestion, I'd suggest there be a way to choose/limit/decrease the number of printable notifications you get through the send/receive function of MLS, as well as a global selection of whether or not to ask to print members records.

We really only print records 1) when the bishop or clerk asks 2) when the member's record is first moved into the ward (for discussion in bishopric and ward council meeting and to read in during sacrament). We don't keep a binder of records or IOSs in the clerk's office.

Also, it'd be nice (since MLS is a multi-user system) to have a history/log of what happened at each send/receive so that if a record came in while I wasn't looking, I can still detect it.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

sammythesm wrote: Also, it'd be nice (since MLS is a multi-user system) to have a history/log of what happened at each send/receive so that if a record came in while I wasn't looking, I can still detect it.
I agree this would be nice. If all you are looking for is the new move-ins then you can use the Members Moved In report.
znauga

IOS Distribution.

Post by znauga »

sammythesm wrote:Oftentimes when I send/receive MLS, I get reports that print showing a family or individual and under their name it says " - Individual Record Printed". The next thing it asks me if I want to print out is their records/IOSs.

What is this? What printing of the record is MLS detecting, because it doesn't seem like it's linked to anything I'm doing at the unit.

As an enhancement suggestion, I'd suggest there be a way to choose/limit/decrease the number of printable notifications you get through the send/receive function of MLS, as well as a global selection of whether or not to ask to print members records.

We really only print records 1) when the bishop or clerk asks 2) when the member's record is first moved into the ward (for discussion in bishopric and ward council meeting and to read in during sacrament). We don't keep a binder of records or IOSs in the clerk's office.

Also, it'd be nice (since MLS is a multi-user system) to have a history/log of what happened at each send/receive so that if a record came in while I wasn't looking, I can still detect it.

The IOS should be given to the members when they move into your ward. I suggest also giving an updated IOS to members whenever a child is born to the family or ordinances occur. I believe this should be a year-round process.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sammythesm wrote:What printing of the record is MLS detecting, because it doesn't seem like it's linked to anything I'm doing at the unit.

It seems that it will print when there's any change in the record. This would include such seemingly minor changes as a change in the name of a parent - a change that could come from a change done in another ward.

Also, with the new on-line directory, members can update their own address, phone number and email address.

Short of having an old IOS and compairing it, I'm not sure as you'd know what has changed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

Most of these changes are listed in the transaction report that you are prompted to print before you are prompted to print the IOS. It's that first report that I use to decide if I want to print the IOS.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:It seems that it will print when there's any change in the record. This would include such seemingly minor changes as a change in the name of a parent - a change that could come from a change done in another ward.

Also, with the new on-line directory, members can update their own address, phone number and email address.

Short of having an old IOS and compairing it, I'm not sure as you'd know what has changed.
And in a unit like ours that keeps a "hard copy" in a folder of all ward memberships (hold-over from an earlier era!) we print the new one and replace the old one from the book and destroy it. It's just the way our bishopric likes it, and it has come in handy more than a few times...

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”