MLS 3.3.0 vs Membership Master

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mjkenning

Post by mjkenning »

Adding my voice to the argument that MRN information is extremely helpful to have in interview situations (I'm in a Bishopric) and to help members create LDS Accounts, etc. It seems that the next logical step in removing it from the easily abused CSV export is to integrate such information into the LDS Tools app. This would make confidential information available based on calling as it is on the website. The only possible issue I see (which would be the same for any data on portable devices) is that when a person is released from a calling that allows access to confidential information, that information is not removed until they update again. It seems there needs to be some level of trust with persons called to Bishoprics and Stake Presidencies and have legitimate reason to access that data in an efficient manner. Allowing these brethren access to MRN in a portable format (without using the cumbersome website process) is something the church should invest some resources in.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mjkenning wrote:Adding my voice to the argument that MRN information is extremely helpful to have in interview situations (I'm in a Bishopric) and to help members create LDS Accounts, etc. It seems that the next logical step in removing it from the easily abused CSV export is to integrate such information into the LDS Tools app.

Although I have not seen any final word on the subject, my own expectation for the expanded LDS Tools functions for leaders under development is that the MRN would be among the confidential data transmitted via secure web services. That was discussed in another thread.

This thread is more about how different third-party apps that do use the CSV files utterly broke when the export format changed. If the MRN itself is not really significant to them, they might not break if a blank MRN column is restored to Membership.csv. It is even pretty easy for someone to export the MRN itself from MLS via Custom Reports and merge it back. See this thread. But it appears to me that export of the MRN to text files is what is deemed to be too insecure, so I would not expect that capability to continue.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”