How do I move mls data files from one computer to another?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
johncrandall-p40

How do I move mls data files from one computer to another?

Post by johncrandall-p40 »

I need to move mls data from one ward computer to the stake computer. Do I simply need to copy the mls/unit directory for the ward I'm copying? Do I also need to copy the dialer.properties file? Is there anything else I need to know when doing this?

Thanks
John
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

The stake computer should get its updates from CHQ. Why do you need to manually move the file?
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johncrandall wrote:Do I simply need to copy the mls/unit directory for the ward I'm copying?
Yes, the mls/unit/{unit number} directory. It would also be wise to copy the MLS backup files. Usually C:\mlsData-backup

johncrandall wrote:Do I also need to copy the dialer.properties file?
Only if you are setting up a new computer, or relocating it so that it need to dial a different number.

You may need to call CHQ to reset the security for that unit so then you can send/receive.

I'm guessing this may be for a discontinued unit. Make sure you get a MLS login from someone. The logins used for the stake unit will not work for the ward unit even if installed on the same machine. Each unit retains their own logins.
SmithGW

How do I move mls data files from one computer to another

Post by SmithGW »

I'm not sure what you want to do here, exactly, but there is a feature in MLS that allows you to send your ward's membership information to the stake electronically. Click the FILE drop-down menu in MLS and select SEND MEMBERSHIP DATA TO THE STAKE.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”