Connection Speed

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:What were the steps indicated for the connection? And did it provide a key or did you have to call for the key? Of course someone might have installed the router and set up a key and then got released and never passed on the key and the church has no idea about it in the first place.
I think the Odyssey client takes care of all that.

As for the steps, "You will need to contact your Facilities Manager to verify whether your unit has an authorized CCN with firewall." (if they've got a FHC, they darn well better have an authorized CCN with a firewall.) and "The FM group must approve of physical changes to the building (if needed) to accommodate usage of the CCN."

That's about it. The rest is on funding (either from FM or from stake with SP approval.) Seems like Global Support would be the go-to on the "how".

As it is, I'm wiring up a ward this week. Since it's wired, I just need to run a wire. I don't need instructions on how to do that. :D And yes, I called FM to drill the hole I needed. But it may give me an excuse to call CHQ.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Does the ward building have a FHC? I just though stake buildings had them and that is why in a previous post I mentioned that just the stakes buildings were getting high-speed internet access.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

FHCs are the most common reason for a CCN to be installed. (And I think by definition a CCN will have a firewall.) Other reasons may include an Institute, FM office, or any other church office with paid employees.

Post #6 indicted the presence of both a FHC and a FM Office.

As long as the network is existing, (and the computer has Desktop 5.5) it can be connected. No new CCNs are being installed for ward-only buildings. And units may not install there own (non-CCN) connection.

At least that's what I've heard so far. There could be pilot projects and other exceptions out there.

I did call CHQ. They gave me the go-ahead to connect our one branch that's located in a Institute building.
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

RussellHltn wrote:Funny. That's not what the email sent to all STS dated Feb 28, 2007 said.

It indicated the prerequisites for connection (Desktop 5.5 and an existing CCN), but did not mention any additional approval required.

I think a copy of the letter was sent to the stake MLS as well.
I've mentioned that to our FM group and the Global Services Center. I must be talking to the wrong people. Any suggestions? Or perhaps for some strange reason it's authorized for wards but not stakes? I was hoping to do training for our stake on using lds.org and would love to be able to show it....
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

You mentioned that it was wireless, they might only allow wired connections (as in Russell's case). Maybe you could ask them about wiring the connection?
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

HPaulsen wrote:I was hoping to do training for our stake on using lds.org and would love to be able to show it....
How would you do that? I think there are some significant restrictions on what machines you can connect to the wireless network. Something like Church-owned machines only or something along that line. Certainly they don't allow anyone who wants. Since no buildings in my stake have the wireless, I haven't seen the policy.

In my area wireless broadband is available. Bring in a wireless modem, your own computer and demo away. Or else hold the training at the FHC.

As for connecting wards/stakes to an existing CCN, I'd go though the clerk support and ask for citation, referrals, etc to make it happen. The two people I talked to at clerk support had no problem with that I was doing.

Global Support is probably looking for permission from somewhere and FM group has a very wide range of responsibilities and may not be up on current policy.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

David or Tom, do you know what it would take to get the letter of Feb 28th on-line somewhere? I have a copy, but didn't want to go posting without permission. Ideally, it should be in the letters and policies section of the STS section of "serving in the church" but I'll be happy just to get it up somewhere.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

HPaulsen wrote:I've mentioned that to our FM group and the Global Services Center. I must be talking to the wrong people. Any suggestions? Or perhaps for some strange reason it's authorized for wards but not stakes? I was hoping to do training for our stake on using lds.org and would love to be able to show it....

Also you might be able to use the wireless of a member who lives nearby. Making it possible to show a "live" demonstration. But if neither are an option a powerpoint slide with the specific parts would still get the same message accross.
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:David or Tom, do you know what it would take to get the letter of Feb 28th on-line somewhere? I have a copy, but didn't want to go posting without permission. Ideally, it should be in the letters and policies section of the STS section of "serving in the church" but I'll be happy just to get it up somewhere.

I don't know (so until Tom responds the answer is no), and I am sure if we could post it, Tom will post it or another person from the church in that department will be able to post it.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:But if neither are an option a powerpoint slide with the specific parts would still get the same message accross.
Yup. That's how I did it when LUWS first came out. A series of screen shots on power point. Just to make it look real, I'd move the mouse pointer to the "link" before I'd click. It make it look like I was on-line (as long as I followed the script.)

If you don't have the money for PowerPoint, OpenOffice has as similar product, I think it's called Presentation. And it's everybody's favorite price: free!

Even if you do have a connection available, a PP would still be a good idea. Murphy's Law and all that.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”