High Council Order

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
craiggsmith

High Council Order

Post by craiggsmith »

On the Organizations->High Council screen you cannot sort by clicking the column headings like you can on the other org screens, and it doesn't seem to keep the order they are entered in. I saw a thread from almost two years ago about this. It seems they fixed it and then broke it again in 3.2.3 and 3.3, or perhaps earlier. Or perhaps it's a totally new but similar bug. Any knowledge about this?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hemismith wrote:On the Organizations->High Council screen you cannot sort by clicking the column headings like you can on the other org screens, and it doesn't seem to keep the order they are entered in. I saw a thread from almost two years ago about this. It seems they fixed it and then broke it again in 3.2.3 and 3.3, or perhaps earlier. Or perhaps it's a totally new but similar bug. Any knowledge about this?
This is not a bug. It was an intentional change made in MLS 3.2. As you can see in its release notes:
Listing of High Councilors. In stake MLS, the Organizations menu has an option called High Council. This option lists high council members in alphabetical order only. This order cannot be changed. Members of the high council should not be listed by seniority of service. Only Apostles serve by seniority.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

OK, thanks very much! I'll pass this on to those who asked me to look into this.

P.S. Do you know where I can find the release notes? I tried to find them on this site but have been unsuccessful. Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

hemismith wrote:Do you know where I can find the release notes? I tried to find them on this site but have been unsuccessful. Thanks.
They should be on your computer with MLS. And usually there is a link on the desktop that will take you directly to them. (Unless your STS decided to be overly helpful and clean things up a bit. [grin] )
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hemismith wrote:Do you know where I can find the release notes? I tried to find them on this site but have been unsuccessful. Thanks.
All release notes from the last few years are compiled in the wiki article Timeline of MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Great, thanks!
Craig
South Jordan, UT
ttmetusela

Re: High Council Order

Post by ttmetusela »

My stake still asks HC to sit in order of seniority. Is that considered appropriate/necessary?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My stake stopped doing that at least 15 years ago.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

ttmetusela wrote:My stake still asks HC to sit in order of seniority. Is that considered appropriate/necessary?
When I pointed this out to my SP he said that he didn't take directions from MLS. Which I didn't necessarily disagree with, however, Seniority in the HC is completely meaningless other than tracking how long HC members have served (which is available from the setting apart date). Noting how long members serve in callings is common to track separately anyway. I don't even really know what the tradition for seniority even meant (possibly AP vs MP committee positions? maybe Discipline Councils, which ones are assigned specific wards when there are less than 12 in a stake, etc..) are some that I can think of.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:I don't even really know what the tradition for seniority even meant
The calling of Apostle is for life. But the same can't be said of the High Council. In my stake, they're frequently released as they've been called into their ward's leadership. As such, their seniority doesn't really track with their experience.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”