Standard Callings in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Yes. I also notice that it has displayed our Family History Center Director as a custom position, when he is loaded into MLS in a standard position. This should prove interesting when we try to finish up the audit this month.

I will have to go back into MLS this week to check, but I am almost certain there was a star by his position when I pulled it off of the standard list to add him.

You're almost certainly hitting the same problem I described in the thread FHC Director standard calling. In particular, see in this post that you have to choose a different standard calling than the logical one in order to have the FHC director show up in CDOL (and thus the new Directory) with a standard calling.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:You're almost certainly hitting the same problem I described in the thread FHC Director standard calling. In particular, see in this post that you have to choose a different standard calling than the logical one in order to have the FHC director show up in CDOL (and thus the new Directory) with a standard calling.

Bingo! Thank you for the memory refresh. I have misplaced my Urim and Thummim.

We will play along with that thread, and perhaps even be able to do the Center audit online if all goes well.

I was very pleased with how quickly all of the other positions flowed from MLS into CDOL and onto lds.org after we updated them Sunday evening.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:Thank you for the memory refresh.
We will play along with that thread,
Success. Last evening the new position was entered under the false name in MLS, and the old standard MLS position that flowed to CDOL as a custom position was deleted.

This morning, CDOL shows the fake MLS entry in the proper CDOL position, and the custom position in CDOL that came from the standard MLS position is gone.

Isn't it reassuring that these computers do exactly as they were programmed to do? hehehe
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

subtlecoolness wrote:In my ward's MLS, the calling "CHORISTER" has a gold star next to it, which indicates to me that it is a standardized calling. Yet it is formatted just as I typed it, in all caps. No other calling that I can find is in all caps.

And, if that weren't fun enough, in CDOL the CHORISTER calling is orange, which indicates to me that it is a custom calling. I verified in MLS that there is not a custom ("orange dot") calling by that name.

I followed the instructions on the wiki for correcting duplicate or missing callings, and I am still having this problem. Does anyone else have any suggestions to correct this?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In researching this on both live data and test data I found that the test data has the standard position "Choristor" with only the first letter a capital. In the live data I found the position "CHORISTOR" on the standard position list. Our ward does not have this position filled and we have not entered the position as a custom position either. And since we do not have the position filled I could not see how it would appear in CDOL.

Because the standard position "Choristor" appears as "CHORISTOR" on live data and not in the test data it leads me to believe that there has been an update sent through to MLS that has made that change.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

What I am seeing is that CHORISTOR is actually a standard position (at least in my ward's db). Matching that id (internally) to CDOL there are 31 units using it successfully as a standard position. The larger number (including my ward) are using the Music Director position.

subtlecoolness - I'll look at your ward and see if I can find out more details on why it isn't working for you.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I have been seeing it all caps the entire time I have been checking "standard" vs "custom" positions. I just thought it was a programming typo. We use Choristor rather than Music Director. I have not looked to see how ours looks in CDOL - we don't have internet access at the church and this has not been a high-priority item for me to investigate from home...

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”