Standard Callings in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

atticusewig wrote:Has anyone seen any other oddities in the "Standard Callings" ?
In my ward's MLS, the calling "CHORISTER" has a gold star next to it, which indicates to me that it is a standardized calling. Yet it is formatted just as I typed it, in all caps. No other calling that I can find is in all caps.

And, if that weren't fun enough, in CDOL the CHORISTER calling is orange, which indicates to me that it is a custom calling. I verified in MLS that there is not a custom ("orange dot") calling by that name.
emrolgould

Post by emrolgould »

lajackson wrote:Yes. I have very few of them in MLS version 3.3b6. In fact, there are hardly any standard callings at all. But that is an issue for another thread.

I'm not sure which version of MLS we have in the Stake Clerks' Office, but we're having this issue as well. We cannot see callings like 'Stake High Councilor' in the list of Standad Positions, so a Custom Position is created.

Using the Custom Position Review Tool, we can change it using the Find Nearest Match link. Was this addressed in another thread?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

EmrolGould wrote:We cannot see callings like 'Stake High Councilor' in the list of Standad Positions, so a Custom Position is created.

Using the Custom Position Review Tool, we can change it using the Find Nearest Match link. Was this addressed in another thread?

Are you saying that you entered the position as a custom position, then did the custom position review and changed it because the tool found the match to the real position?

This may be a viable workaround for my situation.
emrolgould

Post by emrolgould »

lajackson wrote:Are you saying that you entered the position as a custom position, then did the custom position review and changed it because the tool found the match to the real position?

Yes. That's what I'm saying.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

EmrolGould wrote:We cannot see callings like 'Stake High Councilor' in the list of Standad Positions, so a Custom Position is created.

Success. This also worked for our assistant stake clerks. Thank you very much.

Now, if I can ever get through to the help desk, I can tell them that there is at least a workaround until the programmers get MLS fixed.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:Success. This also worked for our assistant stake clerks. Thank you very much.

Now, if I can ever get through to the help desk, I can tell them that there is at least a workaround until the programmers get MLS fixed.
Now that you've done that, do those positions show up in the list if you try to add another one?

Note: They made it into CDOL correctly too.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ryan jones wrote:Now that you've done that, do those positions show up in the list if you try to add another one?

Note: They made it into CDOL correctly too.

With regard to the assistant clerks, we did not check that in MLS and they are not showing (yet?) in CDOL. I will check MLS this evening. Thursday evening we sent an Assistant Clerk--Finances and two Assistant Clerk(s)--Technology Spc. I thought they might show up in CDOL today, but it may take another day to flow through the system.

With regard to the high councilors, who do show in CDOL, we were able to enter them using standard positions in MLS in the first case. It was only the assistant clerk positions that we could not go to directly, but were able to get to using the Custom Positions Review tool.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:With regard to the assistant clerks, we did not check that in MLS and they are not showing (yet?) in CDOL. I will check MLS this evening. Thursday evening we sent an Assistant Clerk--Finances and two Assistant Clerk(s)--Technology Spc. I thought they might show up in CDOL today, but it may take another day to flow through the system.
There are there in CDOL just not showing yet. Anything that shows on the main summary page for an unit goes through a human review before it is made visible. Mostly I was checking to make sure they came correctly as standard positions, which they did :).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ryan jones wrote:There are there in CDOL just not showing yet. Anything that shows on the main summary page for an unit goes through a human review before it is made visible. Mostly I was checking to make sure they came correctly as standard positions, which they did :).

Good to hear. I vaguely remembered the review process, which is why I said "yet?" and that makes sense.

Last night we did everything, incuding the Custom Position Review tool before we ever did a Send/Receive, so the first time CDOL heard of the callings should have been as standard positions, which it appears worked exactly that way.

Thanks for the followup.
kisaac
Community Moderators

What is standard?

Post by kisaac »

atticusewig wrote: Has anyone seen any other oddities in the "Standard Callings" ?
ryan jones wrote:Anything that shows on the main summary page for an unit goes through a human review before it is made visible.
That "human review" may explain my "oddity" in our version of MLS. If the callings are "standard" across mls and CDOL, then why:

In MLS, I recently chose the standard calling of Relief Society Committee Members for those called to it. However, in CDOL and thus the Leader tools on lds.org, these same people are listed as Relief Society Board Members. But, in MLS, it continues to list them as Committee members, and there is no board member standard option.

The standard calling for "those people that prepare and discuss a lesson" are listed in the standard calling of Relief Society Teachers in our MLS computer and printouts, yet In CDOL they are magically transformed to Relief Society Instructors. There is no Relief Society Instructor standard mls calling that I can find.

The standard callings themselves, in fact, are not standard?
(we have not uploaded the new beta 3.3.0b7 yet- it may solve all our woes!)

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”