Stake Clerk and Executive Secretary

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I love those phone calls when you're treated like you don't know what you're talking about. Anyway. My stake is not on 3.3 yet, but I have an install of the test stake on 3.3.
lajackson wrote:Will someone please humor me. Particularly if you are using the 3.3 beta 6. If you go to (Organizations) > Stake Presidency > Add Positions > (Position) Select do you get a list of standard callings that includes Assistant Stake Clerk.
No. In fact, there is nothing. See attachment.
stk_pres.jpg
stk_pres.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 417 times
lajackson wrote:If you go to (Organizations) > More > (Other Auxiliaries) > Primary > (Other Callings) Add Position > (Position) Select do you get a list of standard callings that includes anything other than Chorister and Pianist?
No. See attachment.
stk_primary.jpg
stk_primary.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 415 times
lajackson wrote:What about Sunday School > (Other Callings) Add Position > (Position) Select? Are there any callings on that list?
Again, no. See attachment.
stk_sundaySchool.jpg
stk_sundaySchool.jpg (15.04 KiB) Viewed 416 times
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

crislapi wrote:I love those phone calls when you're treated like you don't know what you're talking about. Anyway. My stake is not on 3.3 yet, but I have an install of the test stake on 3.3.
The problem in using a test install to check out the stake presidency callings list is that there will be no callings listed. Even when using the custom positions review in a test install of MLS the entire presidency, Stake Executive Secretary, and Stake Clerk are missing from the list. The Stake Assistant Clerk, Stake Assistant Clerk--Finance, Stake Assistant Clerk--Membership, Stake Assistant Clerk--Technology Spc, and Stake Assistant Executive Secretary oddly enough are listed in the customs position review.

For a test install there are only two standard positions, Stake Primary Chorister and Stake Primary Pianist, besides the four standard positions in the leadership for stake primary. For stake sunday school there are no standard positions except the four leadership positions. I believe this is the same for a live install of MLS.

For lajackson's situation the stake primary and stake sunday school are displaying the standard positions available. The stake presidency is behaving much the same as a test install behaves in displaying standard positions available.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:The problem in using a test install to check out the stake presidency callings list is that there will be no callings listed. Even when using the custom positions review in a test install of MLS the entire presidency, Stake Executive Secretary, and Stake Clerk are missing from the list.

True, because they are now input from the update stake leaders link in a different way.
jdlessley wrote:The Stake Assistant Clerk, Stake Assistant Clerk--Finance, Stake Assistant Clerk--Membership, Stake Assistant Clerk--Technology Spc, and Stake Assistant Executive Secretary oddly enough are listed in the customs position review.

Not from where I sit. And when I try to enter them through the custom position screen, they enter as custom callings, not as standard callings.
jdlessley wrote:For a test install there are only two standard positions, Stake Primary Chorister and Stake Primary Pianist, besides the four standard positions in the leadership for stake primary. For stake sunday school there are no standard positions except the four leadership positions. I believe this is the same for a live install of MLS.

Duh. You are correct for the stake. And that is exactly what we have, so no problem there.
jdlessley wrote: For lajackson's situation the . . . stake presidency is behaving much the same as a test install behaves in displaying standard positions available.

Ok, fine. So now I ask again the same question I asked the help desk. With regard to the Assistant Stake Clerk(s). They are not there. How do I get to the standard positions so that I can enter their names?.I am not a test unit. I am a functioning stake (albeit a new stake -- is that the problem?).

(Or did I miss something when you said "custom positions review"?)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:(Or did I miss something when you said "custom positions review"?)
The custom position review I am referring to is the main menu Organizations > Custom Positions Review selection. This was recommended to be done when the standard positions first became available in MLS. Using that tool you can see the complete list of standard positions in MLS. If you look at that list and the position is not listed, and it should be, then there is a problem with your standard position list for your install.

I suspect you may have a problem with your MLS link to CDOL for those positions that are entered into the system other than through MLS. Or at least it may be contributing to the lack of positions if they in fact are found listed using the custom positions review.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:The custom position review I am referring to is the main menu Organizations > Custom Positions Review selection. This was recommended to be done when the standard positions first became available in MLS. Using that tool you can see the complete list of standard positions in MLS. If you look at that list and the position is not listed, and it should be, then there is a problem with your standard position list for your install.

First, just calling up the Custom Positions Review link does not yield any standard positions at all. At first, we had no custom positions loaded and calling up the Review link just brings up a blank screen.

However, in conjunction with this comment and another thread, we were able to workaround the problem.

We entered the assistant stake clerks as custom positions, then ran the Custom Positions Review link. Each of the custom positions showed up, and when we clicked on each individual position, we were given the list of matching standard positions, selected the correct position each time, and told MLS to make the switch.

You do have to have a pretty accurate custom position name, of you will not get anything to match it against.

We had to do this for each individual in each position, but the workaround did in fact finally land each one of them in the correct standard calling.

Now, the added benefit of not being able to get through to the help desk to let them know about this workaround is that they may actually get the real problem solved in the meantime. [grin]
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:You do have to have a pretty accurate custom position name, of you will not get anything to match it against.
When you first click the Find Nearest Match link by a person in the Custom Positions Review screen, MLS will show you the nearest matches in the "Standard Positions List (Nearest Match)" dialog. If no matches are shown at first (or the standard calling you are looking for doesn't appear), you can use the Show All button in the bottom left corner of the dialog box. Then the title changes to "Standard Positions List (All)" and you will see all the standard positions.

So it's not really necessary to have an accurate custom position name, although it will save you a step if you do.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:When you first click the Find Nearest Match link by a person in the Custom Positions Review screen, MLS will show you the nearest matches in the "Standard Positions List (Nearest Match)" dialog. If no matches are shown at first (or the standard calling you are looking for doesn't appear), you can use the Show All button in the bottom left corner of the dialog box. Then the title changes to "Standard Positions List (All)" and you will see all the standard positions.

So it's not really necessary to have an accurate custom position name, although it will save you a step if you do.

I do not recall seeing a Show All button, but I will look this evening to see if it is there. Since I did not need it, it may well have been there and I just did not notice it.

But I will check, because there have been a number of things that should have been in MLS 3.3b6 that did not show up without reloading or other coaxing.

And from a programming standpoint, I am afraid that the bottom left corner is the last place I ever look on a screen for anything. [grin]
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:I do not recall seeing a Show All button, but I will look this evening to see if it is there. Since I did not need it, it may well have been there and I just did not notice it.
The Show All button is there. (I had to enter another custom position to get the Tool to offer me a Find Nearest Match link.) And when I press the Show All button, I see every calling I think I would ever want to use in the stake.

So they seem to all be there in MLS. The glitch is simply that some of them do not show up in the individual Organization places where callings are first entered.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Beta 7 was just released today. Maybe your problem is fixed with that one? Hopefully. No mention of it in the release notes, however.

Also, it's a long shot, but is there a "reset" option for organizations like there is for classes? I doubt it, but that would be nice.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”