Class lists based on a future date

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
waltbristow

Class lists based on a future date

Post by waltbristow »

In preparation for the 2008 curriculum order, I thought it might be nice to give organizations a list of what classes would look like as of 1 Jan 2008. For the Young Men and Young Women, I also wanted to prepare a report as of 30 Jun 2008 and 31 Dec 2008.

Much to my surprise, I found it doesn't work. For example, the Standard Directory list for Deacons as of 31 December 2008 shows a young man born 4 Jun 1994. It says he is age 13. My calculations say that a person with that birthdate will be 14 on 31 Dec 2008 and should be on the Teacher's roster--even if he's not been ordained a Teacher.

Likewise, a young man born 15 Sep 1995 (and who will thus be turning 12 next month and will be ordained a Deacon) doesn't show up on the Deacon's roster for 31 Dec 2008 (and still shows up on the Valiant 12 roster -- though he shouldn't). If I run the report for 1 Jan 2008, the same situation exists. Even if I run it as of 1 Oct 2007, he still doesn't show up on the Deacon's list.

I notice also that the age on the Standard Directory with sensitive information isn't correct. For example, we have a young man born 25 Aug 1992. That means he's 14 today. In a few days he'll be 15. But if I run a Directory as of 1 Sep 2007, it still shows his age as 14.

Shouldn't class rosters & rolls show the classes as they'll be constituted on that future date? Shouldn't the age of individuals in the Standard Directory with sensitive information, show the age as of that date?

It appears that, unless I'm doing something wrong, the class directories and rosters are not accurate for any date in the future -- even if you specifically indicate that you want the group/class as of a future date. That sort of makes it difficult, for example, to prepare rosters for the next quarter until after the 1st day of the quarter. It also makes the selection of a class/group as of a certain date misleading. You print the directory or roster and think it's going to show the classes as of the date. But it doesn't.

The same issue seems to be there if you use an earlier date. For example, a young man born 17 Mar 1995 (who was 11 years old on 1 Jan 2007) shows up on the Deacon's list when I ask for the group/class as of 1 Jan 2007.

Am I missing something? Or it just to early in the day for me to be interpreting the information correctly?

Walt Bristow
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Well, I can maybe understand when it comes to the Priesthood. Yes, it is partly based on age, but it is also based on interview, worthiness, bishop's discretion, etc. It really isn't a for sure thing.

As for going backwards, I don't know. Perhaps it's too difficult to look not only at age but ordination dates, etc.
ldjones-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ldjones-p40 »

Being able to prepare class rolls ahead of time is a short coming in MLS. When printing the class rolls, MLS displays the members of that class as of "today". MLS then allows you to set the date for which date you want on the rolls for the current members of the class. It does not re-calculate who should be in the class for the date that you have choosen.

A bug/enhancement will be entered to request that MLS allows the user to prepare class rolls ahead of time.
bjhom-p40

Post by bjhom-p40 »

mkmurray wrote:Well, I can maybe understand when it comes to the Priesthood. Yes, it is partly based on age, but it is also based on interview, worthiness, bishop's discretion, etc. It really isn't a for sure thing.

As for going backwards, I don't know. Perhaps it's too difficult to look not only at age but ordination dates, etc.
But if a 15 year old attends priesthood meeting he would go to the Teachers quorum even if he was still a deacon, right?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

bjhom wrote:But if a 15 year old attends priesthood meeting he would go to the Teachers quorum even if he was still a deacon, right?
I suppose you're right, that is probably how it would work in most cases. I'm not really sure what the Handbook of Instructions says to that effect. I imagine (like most things) the Handbook says something about it, and it is also up to the inspiriation of local leadership in addition.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd have to go back and play with MLS, but perhaps the "date" function you are looking at is only for filling in the dates on the attendance rolls (Sept 2, Sept 9, Sept 16, Sept 23, etc.) and not for calculating the rolls.
waltbristow

Post by waltbristow »

RussellHltn wrote:I'd have to go back and play with MLS, but perhaps the "date" function you are looking at is only for filling in the dates on the attendance rolls (Sept 2, Sept 9, Sept 16, Sept 23, etc.) and not for calculating the rolls.
I'm sure you're right. But what that means is, for example, when I get ready to print rosters, etc for 2008 for Sunday school and primary classes, I'd better made sure I don't do it the Sunday before. Instead I'll want to make sure I go in after 1/1/2008. Otherwise they're going to have kids assigned to the wrong classes.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

One option is to change your computer clock to the future date, but if I remember correctly once you change it back the financial stuff is locked until that date or something similar to prevent financial tampering.

I don't know if by printing off a roster if that would do anything to the financial side of MLS.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:One option is to change your computer clock to the future date, but if I remember correctly once you change it back the financial stuff is locked until that date or something similar to prevent financial tampering.

I don't know if by printing off a roster if that would do anything to the financial side of MLS.
Once you move forward, you can't move back - period. It won't even let you into MLS. I suppose you could make a backup, roll forward, do the list, and the roll back and restore, but I wouldn't rank that as a "good idea".
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

I haven't tried this - but since classes are based on rules
anyhow - couldn't you use a custom list to get a list of
people in a class (in the future), use a ctrl-shift-c or whatever it is
to copy it to a clipboard, and then paste that into a
spreadsheet that mimics the format of the roll in the future.

Setting up a custom list for each class would be a bit tedious,
but with the new export/import feature, the custom lists (the
rules not the data) can be passed to whichever ward needed
them.

- Atticus Ewig

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”