Windows 7 and MLS 3.3

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Just for accuracy's sake, lajackson, could you share which version your stake had issues with? Was it with the 3.3 beta? If it was an earlier beta, that does not guarantee that 3.3 has the same issue, though I don't doubt it is a possibility. It could very well be that your particular issue was specifically caused by differing versions, in which case it doesn't matter what version of the software. Just trying to clarify and I do thank you for the caution. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kgthunder wrote:. . . could you share which version your stake had issues with?
While we were all innocently running MLS 3.1.5 earlier this year, the help desk had one of our wards upgrade to an early beta version 3.2 to try and solve a problem that we already had been told was not fixed in 3.2. That unit dropped off the grid.

Their data did not disappear. It just never updated at the stake, so we used old data for several months to make some critical decisions, thinking it was current.

We caught it when their MLS crashed, the Asst Clerk for Technology reloaded 3.1.5 (not realizing that Beta 3.2 was on the box, which the clerk did not even know existed) and then the backup would not restore.

It takes us two to three weeks to upgrade the entire stake, and we have had these types of data problems every time we have had versions running on the ward computers different from the stake computer. For example, there was a big disconnect when we went from 3.0 to 3.1 and minor problems as we worked our way through the 2.x series.

As big as the changes are in 3.3, I would fully expect that data would not pass from a 3.2 to a 3.3 computer. On the other hand, since the changes are mostly financial, perhaps the membership side is still compatible between the two versions.

I could be wrong. It all depends on how the database and ward to stake transfer reports and files are structured in each version.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”