Error 2 Not Authorized - Urgent Help Needed

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

rmarques wrote:Can I contact MLS Support Desk on the phone (801) 240-3500 even if I'm here in Brazil or there is a department in Brazil that does that?

Just for your information, I received information via e-mail that a record number has been created for the little girl going to temple on saturday. That's great!

Sorry for detailing multiple issues, but unfortunately we have multiple issues. I wish I had just one issue. It seems you didn't understand well, but there isn't anyone on my end willing to solve anything so far. I wish I didn't have to seek any support here in the first place.
I would clear this entire effort with your Stake President first. Since the stake doesn't have an STS your SP may be willing to let you proceed on your own - that's up to him. I'm not familiar with out-of-the country calling procedures.

Glad to hear that the record creation was successful. At least that takes off some of the worry.

I understood you perfectly. You don't have any help at your end. Unfortunately, I can't help you with that. If you do not have the skills then you'll need to find someone who CAN help. That's a local issue and not one that can be solved here in the forum :)

I have attempted to provide an outline of what I feel would help someone in clearing up the problems outlined. We can't go much further here since these steps will require someone with the skills to perform them. If you feel like making the attempt, I'd clear the effort first with your leaders (Bishop and SP).
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
rmarques-p40

Post by rmarques-p40 »

Thank you very much for all the possible solutions presented.

I like these ones:
The authorization reset is unit-based and not computer-based. It's very possible that his unit could be locked out and yet another ward using the same MLS software may be operational.
The most obvious symptom does seem to be the need to do a security reset.
Now I have new arguments to start a conversation. These "keywords" might enlighten their minds into finding a solution to the problem.

I'm in contact with both SP and area office here in Brazil. What puzzles me is that until this moment there was no talk in technical terms from either parts. It seems they don't know what the problem is, no solution has been presented in order to fix the problem. At least the SP admitted he doesn't know anything about fixing computers and so did his clerks.
Campus Ward - Ala Campus
techgy
Community Moderators

Return and Report

Post by techgy »

When you have a resolution to these issues, it would be good to hear from you again and let us know how it went. It's always nice to hear success stories. Good luck. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rmarques wrote:Can I contact MLS Support Desk on the phone (801) 240-3500 even if I'm here in Brazil or there is a department in Brazil that does that?
I am pretty sure you need to call the Brazil area office. They should be able to do the security reset.

The rest of the instructions should work fine for cleaning up the virus, etc.
rwoodmansee

Post by rwoodmansee »

techgy wrote:1) Be sure you have a complete backup of your MLS data that's saved on a flash drive or floppy disk.
2) Backup any other critical data that you don't want to lose.

Don't forget to have the other unit backup their MLS and critical data before you wipe the hard disk and reinstall the O/S.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RWoodmansee wrote:Don't forget to have the other unit backup their MLS and critical data before you wipe the hard disk and reinstall the O/S.
Good point. Thanks for the catch.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One thought in all of this - if this computer has Desktop 5.5 installed (during boot-up, look for a a blue screen with two selections before the Windows XP screen appears)

If you have Desktop 5.5, it's probably faster to restore the C partition and then update it with the security software.

But do a backup first.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmarques-p40

Telephone Company

Post by rmarques-p40 »

No progress so far. No action from area office to install antivirus, remove viruses, reset system, etc.

SP sent me an e-mail today informing that area office explainend to him there is a problem with Embratel - a Brazilian communications company, and that's the reason we can't send/receive data.

We share this computer with another ward, they use the same MLS and the same phone line and they are able to send/receive data every sunday.

Is this a plausible explanation from the area office?
Campus Ward - Ala Campus
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

rmarques wrote:No progress so far. No action from area office to install antivirus, remove viruses, reset system, etc.

SP sent me an e-mail today informing that area office explainend to him there is a problem with Embratel - a Brazilian communications company, and that's the reason we can't send/receive data.

We share this computer with another ward, they use the same MLS and the same phone line and they are able to send/receive data every sunday.

Is this a plausible explanation from the area office?
It doesn't sound plausible to me since the other ward CAN Send/Receive on the same computer.

Can you provide a more detailed description of what software you have on the computer?

1) Do you have any anti-virus software? If so, which one?
2) Is the Desktop 5.5 software installed?

Have you been able to get your account reset?
rmarques-p40

Post by rmarques-p40 »

We don't have antivirus program installed at all.

I had a chance to talk over the phone to the guy who was the STS. I told him about the error message and he said it was very simple to fix. When he was STS he contacted the area office, the area office supervisor then called SLC and in 5 minutes the system would be reset.

I explained this same thing to the area office supervisor via e-mail, and this same supervisor told the SP that the problem is with Embratel. Isn't this very strange? I asked specifically about account reset, but the area office supervisor is not considering it.

SP asked us to pray for the Embratel workers so they will be able to fix the problem...

Another thing, I'm giving up and decided today, and already informed SP and clerks, that I will not deal directly with area office supervisor anymore.

I'm the counselor in the bishopric and it's not my responsibility to deal with technical problems as outlined in "Policy and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping". Stake clerk thanked me for giving a copy of this document that details his responsibilities since they don't have a copy.

I'm not sure if we have Desktop 5.5, I haven't checked.
I've installed MLS 3.2.2. Is this the latest version?
Antivirus we don't have for sure, I've checked all the folders.

My pen drive gets filled with files and folders right after I put it on the computer slot. My home computer antivirus software accuses them to be dangerous trojan backdoor viruses. One of these files is called "Passwords" maybe to retrieve passwords from our computer?

(BTW, I'm grateful I found a link to the document "Policy and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping" here on the forum. Without it I wouldn't know how to proceed. Thanks!)

Image of all virus folders and files attached
Attachments
virus.png
virus.png (18.27 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Campus Ward - Ala Campus

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”