FHC Director standard calling

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It may have already been said in the thread, but I didn't see it. Our stake has 4 FHC. The positions are still going to be custom. I guess the good thing is that Family History isn't integrated into MLS and LDS Account so it's doesn't matter at this point.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jshawut wrote:It may have already been said in the thread, but I didn't see it. Our stake has 4 FHC. The positions are still going to be custom. I guess the good thing is that Family History isn't integrated into MLS and LDS Account so it's doesn't matter at this point.
Family History is an organization in MLS, and if you use the standard calling for Stake Family History Director and Stake Record Extraction Director, then these callings will show up on the new.lds.org/directory under the Family History organization. So that's certainly a case where there is a benefit in using the standard positions -- if you use custom positions, they won't show up in the new Directory.

So I guess if you have 4 separate FHCs in your stake, you have to decide whether to give each of the 4 FHC directors the standard (but rather generic) calling, so that they will show up in the Directory, or give them custom callings, which can accurately describe their specific calling, but live with them not appearing in the Directory.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Family History is an organization in MLS, and if you use the standard calling for Stake Family History Director and Stake Record Extraction Director, then these callings will show up on the new.lds.org/directory under the Family History organization. So that's certainly a case where there is a benefit in using the standard positions -- if you use custom positions, they won't show up in the new Directory.

So I guess if you have 4 separate FHCs in your stake, you have to decide whether to give each of the 4 FHC directors the standard (but rather generic) calling, so that they will show up in the Directory, or give them custom callings, which can accurately describe their specific calling, but live with them not appearing in the Directory.
You could also enter each one twice, once with the standard calling (so they appear in in the directory and have any rights that might be applicable in the future) and then again with a custom calling that better describes the specifics.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

keywizard wrote:Just typed a note to you listing everything you need to know about the break in Leadership Directories...and was logged off.
I've seen that happen if you don't use the "Remember Me" feature when logging in and take too long to compose the message. I'm not sure what "too long" is, but I think it's something like 20 minutes.
keywizard wrote:If you can, please PLEASE contact "on high" so that the Stakes can be in line and effect the changes.
Rumor has it that there will be a new Church Handbook of Instructions coming out in/by November. Hopefully this will change those who go "by the book".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
keywizard

Post by keywizard »

techgy wrote:I serve as both a "Stake Family History Center Director" as well as the STS for our stake. When I check the CDOL for my FHCD position it appears as a standard calling (not in orange). So I would have to assume that the position of "Stake Family History Center Director" is an official position.
I called Family History Support yesterday, 14 Sep 2010, to get clarification about a memo I received through LDSMail several years ago. They verified that the calling of Stake Family History Center Director is now discontinued and has been since the new Op Guide came out in 2006. All FHC Directors should have been set apart in their respective Stakes as "Family History Center Directors" by the Stake HC over FHCs. The designation of Stake Family History Center is also discontinued and is designated as "Family History Center". It took me 2 1/2 years to be set apart from Ward to Stake because the directive hasn't come through to the Stake Presidencies. All FH Directors should be funded by the Stakes that they serve. I wish this would be straightened out someday. It is very frustrating!

Leslie Bower, Director
Elizabethtown, KY FHC
keywizard

Post by keywizard »

RussellHltn wrote:I've seen that happen if you don't use the "Remember Me" feature when logging in and take too long to compose the message. I'm not sure what "too long" is, but I think it's something like 20 minutes.

Rumor has it that there will be a new Church Handbook of Instructions coming out in/by November. Hopefully this will change those who go "by the book".

If this happens in November, you will hear THIS Director stomping out the Snoopy Dance from here!
keywizard

Post by keywizard »

Alan_Brown wrote:In stake MLS, I am unable to find a standard calling that works properly for a Family History Center Director.

When you look at the list of standard callings in the Family History organization in stake MLS, the position "History Center Director" looks like the most reasonable choice. It's a bit odd that it's not "Family History Center Director", but there's no other choice that would describe the director of the actual FHC. There's a "Family History Director" but I don't think that's even a valid calling anymore. And there's a "Stake Family History Center Assistant Director", which is particularly strange given that one would assume that any "assistant" position would have a corresponding position.

But when I add someone to the "History Center Director" standard calling, two related odd things happen:
  1. In CDOL, the calling appears in orange, which is an indication that CDOL considers it to be a custom calling. (I did verify that there was a star by the calling when I entered it in MLS and that there is no custom calling by the same name.)
  2. The position does not appear in the beta.lds.org Directory in the Stake Leadership area. Our extraction directors do appear in CDOL as standard callings and in the Stake Leadership of beta.lds.org, but not the FHC director.
I would think that a FHC Director would be an important position to identify, so that with his LDS Account he could access certain privileged websites, once they switch over to using LDS Account.

Am I missing something here?
Here is the "missing link" that has not been sorted out yet by new.familysearch.org. This designates changes to callings for Family History Center Directors. I hope that this solves this confusion about our callings. Directors received this in 2006 when the new Op Guide for FHCs came to them via LDSMail. The Document # is 103194:
https://new.familysearch.org/HelpCenter ... 2040940626

If you cannot access this link, you need to sign on to new.familysearch.org. Go to Help Center; type Family History Director in the search and designate to search within "all products" "all documents." This is the documented change that hasn't been updated with tech yet to update directories. I hope that this clears up the confusion. Directors who have had access to this information since 2006 are counting on you to fill in the missing gaps...please!!! ALL FHC Directors are now Stake callings and should be individually listed in the Stake Directories. Because of the changes, we have worn many hats.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

keywizard wrote:Here is the "missing link" that has not been sorted out yet by new.familysearch.org. This designates changes to callings for Family History Center Directors. I hope that this solves this confusion about our callings. Directors received this in 2006 when the new Op Guide for FHCs came to them via LDSMail. The Document # is 103194:
https://new.familysearch.org/HelpCenter ... 2040940626

If you cannot access this link, you need to sign on to new.familysearch.org. Go to Help Center; type Family History Director in the search and designate to search within "all products" "all documents." This is the documented change that hasn't been updated with tech yet to update directories. I hope that this clears up the confusion. Directors who have had access to this information since 2006 are counting on you to fill in the missing gaps...please!!! ALL FHC Directors are now Stake callings and should be individually listed in the Stake Directories. Because of the changes, we have worn many hats.
I appreciate your attempt to help. There are two questions in this thread:
  1. How to use the standard callings in MLS to get the FHC Director position to show up in CDOL and thus appear in the new.lds.org Directory.
  2. What these callings should actually be called in these places.
The primary focus of this thread is #1, which really has nothing to do with new.familysearch.org. This is a practical question of how to use the tools as they exist now. That question has been answered in this thread, and needs no further response.

But the document you referenced does shed light on #2, which is nothing any of us here have any control over. Nonetheless, it would be good if MLS and CDOL followed the published standards as to what these callings should be named. Thanks for the input.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: FHC Director standard calling

Post by sbradshaw »

3 years later, the Family History callings in MLS are still kind of confusing on the stake level. I was going through today to make an updated list of all the standard callings in MLS and these are the ones that showed up for Family History:

Family History
StandardPosition History Center Director
StandardPosition Stake Family History Center Assistant Director
StandardPosition Stake Family History Center Director
StandardPosition Stake Family History Consultant
StandardPosition Stake Family History Leader
StandardPosition Stake Indexing Assistant Director
StandardPosition Stake Indexing Director

So, is "History Center Director" different from "Stake Family History Center Director"?

Edit: Both callings appear in MLS and are standard callings but "History Center Director" does not show in Clerk Resources' Callings by Organization.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: FHC Director standard calling

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:So, is "History Center Director" different from "Stake Family History Center Director"?
Some FHCs are multi-stake/regional. I can't say that's the difference, but it might explain it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”