MLS Will Not Open

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sgtbrown26-p40

MLS Will Not Open

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

We got an new Dell Optiplex 780 in our clerks office a few weeks ago. I created an account for quorums and auxilaries to logon to Windows and access MLS. The problem is when they logon to Windows MLS will not open. A window pops-up, after you click on the MLS logo, that claims that resources are loading, but they never load and MLS does not open.

The Windows account I created for them is a limited accout rather than a administrator account. If I change the account type to administrator account they can open MLS. How can I allow them to open MLS witout making their Windows logon an administrator account? Or does it matter (I assume it does)?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sgtbrown26 wrote:We got an new Dell Optiplex 780 in our clerks office a few weeks ago. I created an account for quorums and auxilaries to logon to Windows and access MLS. The problem is when they logon to Windows MLS will not open. A window pops-up, after you click on the MLS logo, that claims that resources are loading, but they never load and MLS does not open.

The Windows account I created for them is a limited accout rather than a administrator account. If I change the account type to administrator account they can open MLS. How can I allow them to open MLS witout making their Windows logon an administrator account? Or does it matter (I assume it does)?
It definitely matters. The instructions (see Dell 740 installation instructions on the wiki) are very clear that you are to set up an administrator account. You can search this forum and find all sorts of discussions where people have tried to set up limited accounts for MLS computers. They have always failed to create a fully working system.

The bottom line is: follow the instructions and use an administrator account. Any other course of action is going to cause you problems. Put to the side whatever you may have learned about securing Windows accounts in other contexts. Just follow the instructions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sgtbrown26-p40

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

I have an account for the clerk already I just wanted to have a separate account for other leaders to logon to Windows with. I guess the problem is that I have been in the security field for to long and worry about having everyone using the same Windows logon. Should I have separate accounts for leaders to use or should all users logon to Windows with the clerks user name and password?

If not, how do I setup their Windows account?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

sgtbrown26 wrote:I have an account for the clerk already I just wanted to have a separate account for other leaders to logon to Windows with. I guess the problem is that I have been in the security field for to long and worry about having everyone using the same Windows logon. Should I have separate accounts for leaders to use or should all users logon to Windows with the clerks user name and password?

If not, how do I setup their Windows account?
Alan is not joking when he says you must forget what you know about good security practices with Windows user accounts. The answer, again, is that everyone uses the one clerk user account. You won't be able to get it to work otherwise.
sgtbrown26-p40

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

That's what I'll do then. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I will password protect, or hide, files that we, the bishopric, use outside of MLS so that other users will not gain access to them.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Permit me to digress a little, but there's another factor to consider in regards to confidential information that's stored on the computer. Theft. If someone steals the computer the information that's on it is all available for their use. This can lead to embarrassing situations or identify theft.

It's therefore important to not store personal information on the computer aside from that which is maintained in the MLS database.

It's common practice for people to export data from the MLS database for use in Excel files and other purposes. These files often get left on the computer and if not secured - or removed - they are left available for others to access.

The best solution for this is to remove to a flash drive or other removable media any files that contain personal information and to lock them up in a safe manner.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”