mls.lds.org

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Maybe. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought I read of a deliberate decision to do it that way. Something about legal language. For example, I notice for the CDOL, the button is labeled "I agree", so you'd have to "agree" to get in.
There are several other Church sites where the browser does not automatically default to the enter button. You have to tab or use the mouse to get into the site after you enter your login and password.

I usually just remember them and hit the Tab and Enter. But, it is an extra step that most sites (outside the Church that I frequent) do not require.
kh_design

up-click

Post by kh_design »

Not exactly related, however an interesting observation I made years ago regarding graphical user interface (GUI) buttons. When using a mouse pointer to click on a GUI button it is the up-click of the button that actuates the selection not the down-click of the GUI button.

I work in an occupation were the workstation users will work as fast as possible flying through onscreen GUI button selections inputting and digitizing data as fast as the workstation user can push themselves. Anyhow about 16 years ago when we moved from software in DOS OS to software in Windows GUI OS there was somewhat of a frustration at first clicking on the new GUI buttons. It seamed the software had a bug, as the workstation users would fly through onscreen button selections it would seem the GUI buttons were broken, GUI button selections would not always activate on the first selection. The discovery turned out the workstation user would move the mouse pointer off the GUI button before the mouse button had time to up-click.

Try this your self. Down-click and hold on a GUI button with your mouse pointer and watch the GUI button drop down as if you have activated the GUI button, while holding down the mouse button and while the GUI button is still down move your mouse pointer off the GUI button and watch the GUI button pop back up without the selection being activated, now let your mouse button up while the mouse pointer is off the GUI button, nothing happens. Now down-click on a GUI button with your mouse pointer and watch the GUI button drop down, while your mouse pointer is still over the down GUI button let go of your mouse button for an up-click of the GUI button and your selection is activated as expected.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kh_design wrote:When using a mouse pointer to click on a GUI button it is the up-click of the button that actuates the selection not the down-click of the GUI button.
I've noticed the same thing. It comes in handy when you click on something and then your brain tells you "you don't want to do that".

But I'm not sure how or why that coding convention came about.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:But I'm not sure how or why that coding convention came about.
It's because you can't know until the mouse-up event whether this is a click or a drag. (But we digress....)
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I figured there was a reason.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”