SOPHOS Effecting Performance

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Gutknecht

SOPHOS Effecting Performance

Post by Gutknecht »

I had a trouble call from one of my clerks about their administrative computer running slowly. He correctly identified that SOPHOS was slowing the system down when running its upgrades. I did some performance benchmark comparisons and a system takes over twice as long to boot and allow access to MLS when the SOPHOS update is running. Since these computers are only used once or twice a week, the updates nearly ALWAYS run upon boot. Updates take several minutes to complete which is frustrating for the user. Any suggestions would be helpful. All I can think of is leaving the systems on, but we live in Florida, the lightning captial of the country, so I'm not to keen on that idea.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've herd horror stories about Sophos hogging the machine, but have rarely seen it myself.

If memory serves, the few times I've seen it, it was I/O bound. Perhaps defragging the hard drive would help it get though that phase faster.

Secondly, make sure Sophos is able to complete it's task. The actual software (not just the definitions) has to update periodically and if it doesn't complete, it will have to do it next time. You might want to run a check of what version is on that machine.

When all else fails, you might just want to change the office routine. Open the office, boot the machine, and find something else to do for a few minutes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Gutknecht wrote:I had a trouble call from one of my clerks about their administrative computer running slowly. He correctly identified that SOPHOS was slowing the system down when running its upgrades. I did some performance benchmark comparisons and a system takes over twice as long to boot and allow access to MLS when the SOPHOS update is running. Since these computers are only used once or twice a week, the updates nearly ALWAYS run upon boot. Updates take several minutes to complete which is frustrating for the user. Any suggestions would be helpful. All I can think of is leaving the systems on, but we live in Florida, the lightning captial of the country, so I'm not to keen on that idea.
Part of the solution in addition to altering your office routine would be to increase the amount of RAM in the system. Boosting it up to around 1 Gig would help considerably the performance. Both MLS and Sophos are memory hogs.

One final thought, turn off anything on the status bar that you don't need running all the time.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

This is usually the case with stuff that has to download updates on a regular basis. That is one of the problems even with web filters that people install that put the database on their machines, is that database query when using the web slows it down.

At home one can avoid this by using something like Cloud Antivirus, at http://www.cloudantivirus.com/ and even if you are not using them, they have a live update of what is active in terms of viruses and malware in real time that anyone can view.

Heard an interesting report that a computer in an FHC that has Sophos on it got infected anyway by something, apparently so new that even Sophos didn't have it in its definitions yet. If Sophos has a malware/virus remover, we need to know how to run that part of it maybe?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”