3.2 No Send/Receive

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
CWatsonJr

3.2 No Send/Receive

Post by CWatsonJr »

We received our 3.2 today and when we tried to send and receive the checks we wrote, the only thing that happened was a "Preparing Data" window would pop up and then disappear. When we tried to exit the program, we received a pop up explaining that the checks had to be transmitted, yet MLS wouldn't transmit them. I don't know if the new version wasn't installed correctly or what. The clerk said the Send/Receive worked for the batch but when they went back to do the checks it didn't. I even sat down and rebooted the computer a couple of times to see if that would work... no go.

We were connected to the Internet because I was able to use FireFox to reach lds.org. I tried switching from the "Internet" option (we have a wireless network in our FHC we connect to) to the "Dial Up" option and that didn't work either.

Our clerk will be calling SLC tomorrow because they need to know about the checks but I hope a fix is coming for this.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

CWatsonJr wrote:We received our 3.2 today and when we tried to send and receive the checks we wrote, the only thing that happened was a "Preparing Data" window would pop up and then disappear. When we tried to exit the program, we received a pop up explaining that the checks had to be transmitted, yet MLS wouldn't transmit them. I don't know if the new version wasn't installed correctly or what. The clerk said the Send/Receive worked for the batch but when they went back to do the checks it didn't. I even sat down and rebooted the computer a couple of times to see if that would work... no go.

We were connected to the Internet because I was able to use FireFox to reach lds.org. I tried switching from the "Internet" option (we have a wireless network in our FHC we connect to) to the "Dial Up" option and that didn't work either.

Our clerk will be calling SLC tomorrow because they need to know about the checks but I hope a fix is coming for this.
You are describing the exact problem that one ward in our stake also experience today after the 3.2 upgrade. Looks like a new bug has been created in 3.2
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

techgy wrote:You are describing the exact problem that one ward in our stake also experience today after the 3.2 upgrade. Looks like a new bug has been created in 3.2
This thread doesn't necessarily have more info, but certainly plenty of others confirming the issue: Mls 3.2
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

This sounds the same as the problem I (and others) have been reporting before we got 3.2. See my post here.

Ironically enough, after I did a full install of 3.2 today was the first time in weeks that I got a finance transmission report immediately after doing tithing (instead of days later). So this bug was fixed for our ward and apparently introduced for others...
AdamE-p40

3.2 transmission and checks not working

Post by AdamE-p40 »

We also have a Ward that cannot transmit. They successfully did some updates in the morning before the update, then tranmission stopped after 3.2 updated over the Internet. The tranmission dialog comes up after they try to transmit tithing and immediately disappears showing a disconnected status. They are also unable to write checks, as it won't take them through all the screens properly. We only have one unit on the Internet, which might be why they got the update and no other units are complaining yet.
I had the clerk download the full version of the 3.2 update, but it did not make any difference.
Recommend to not update until the issues are fixed. MLS developers, you might want to pull this update until the issues are resolved.
coloradotechie-p40

Same problem

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

We're having the same problem... Here's the history of what happened:

Sunday:
  • 10:30 am - Membership clerk transmits membership updates, MLS 3.2 starts downloading
  • 10:55 am - download finishes
  • 11:00 am - 12 noon - various people use the computer for reports and other duties, the computer is never rebooted (I'm guessing that someone saw the message to reboot the computer to apply the update, but they must have forgotten to reboot)
  • 12:20 pm - we start doing a donation batch
  • 1:20 pm - we transmit the donation batch, finance transmission report prints
  • 1:30 pm - I start entering in expenses to write some checks
  • 2:00 pm - when I click the "Print Checks" button, javaw.exe pegs processor 100% for 3 + minutes, I do a "force quit" on the .exe file via task manager and reboot the machine
  • 2:05 pm - I start MLS after a reboot and it finishes applying the update
  • 2:06 pm - 3:00 pm - I'm able to print the checks (23 of them), but I can't successfully transmit... when I click send/receive, it dials the number (we are on dial-up) and then it never gives me a progress bar or anything letting me know it is transmitting...
  • 3:00 pm - I lock the office and put a note on the computer: "Please let the computer finish transmitting" and I go home.
  • 7:00 pm - I return to the church to see if it finished transmitting... the modem had disconnected but the expenses were still "Not Sent" on the "View/Update Expenses" screen. I try transmitting again and it doesn't work (it dials, connects, and then sits).
Anyhow, I'm about to call CHQ to let them know about these 23 checks that we wrote yesterday. I'm sure enough of us will be manually calling in new expenses that they'll realize something isn't right.

:-)

Thanks~!
coloradotechie-p40

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

Okay, I spoke with the MLS Help people at CHQ and here is what they said:

"Numerous people have been having this problem and what seems to have worked so far is the following:

Close MLS if it is open
Navigate to C:\program files\lds church\mls\
Find the mlslog.txt
Rename the file to mlslog1.txt or mlslogOLD.txt or something similar
Start MLS, Login, and try transmitting"

Since I'm not at the church building right now, I'm unable to test this. Does anyone want to try this? Has this worked for other people?

Thanks~!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

coloradotechie wrote:Okay, I spoke with the MLS Help people at CHQ and here is what they said:

"Numerous people have been having this problem and what seems to have worked so far is the following:

Close MLS if it is open
Find the mlslog.txt

Since I'm not at the church building right now, I'm unable to test this. Does anyone want to try this? Has this worked for other people?

Thanks~!
I would be utterly fascinated to understand why renaming the log file would solve this problem. Buy time, if MLS is not handling the file properly, or if it has grown too large, yes. But, solve the problem?

Although, if it works for others, try it. I have seen stranger things.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

coloradotechie wrote:Okay, I spoke with the MLS Help people at CHQ and here is what they said:

Close MLS if it is open
Find the mlslog.txt

Thanks~!
I have to agree that a rename of the log file would be a strange fix...but....

I plan on being at a building around 11:30 AM (Pacific). We're having similar problems, so I'll give this a shot and report back. If this fails I was planning on doing a re-install.

If anyone gets to this before I do, please let everyone know of the result.
Thanks for the effort.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
tfrodsham1-p40

Post by tfrodsham1-p40 »

This appears to be a rather prevalent problem. We're experiencing it as well

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”