XML Export Feature

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Mr. M-p40

XML Export Feature

Post by Mr. M-p40 »

I am not sure if this has been covered but could XML be added as an export type for the MLS system.

On a side note, I tried to do a search for XML in this forum to see if it had been covered and it gave me an error message saying that XML is too short of a term to search for (four characters required). I would recommend that being changed. The reason I suggest it is because it doesn't allow to search for a file extension only three characters long. I know that I could probably search for .XML but that would omit all topics that don't have that period in front of XML...just a thought.

:-)
Mr. M
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit me virtually anytime. ;)

http://www.mariohipol.com
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I remember that we talked before about shortening the search to 3 letters but then you have all the problems with "the" "him" "and" which causes a lot of server slowdown. Of course you could add a word blacklist. It is currently in Tom's hands. As for xml I agree that would be nice especially for 3rd part apps to have your own LDS Tech form reader or something. There is an RSS for the new threads created though.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:I remember that we talked before about shortening the search to 3 letters but then you have all the problems with "the" "him" "and" which causes a lot of server slowdown. Of course you could add a word blacklist. It is currently in Tom's hands. As for xml I agree that would be nice especially for 3rd part apps to have your own LDS Tech form reader or something. There is an RSS for the new threads created though.
Well, he was talking about an XML export for MLS and as a side note trying to do a search on the forums for the term XML to find if someone has already mentioned XML and MLS in the forums. I don't think he was talking about XML export of the forum threads (that's how I read his post).
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:I remember that we talked before about shortening the search to 3 letters but then you have all the problems with "the" "him" "and" which causes a lot of server slowdown. Of course you could add a word blacklist. It is currently in Tom's hands. As for xml I agree that would be nice especially for 3rd part apps to have your own LDS Tech form reader or something. There is an RSS for the new threads created though.
This 3 letter thing has bugged me enough that I should probably just bite the bullet and make the change. To do so, I'll need to down the server for a bit while I rebuild all of the full text indexes. There are so many 3 letter acronyms that I think it would be worth it.

Tom
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

tomw wrote:This 3 letter thing has bugged me enough that I should probably just bite the bullet and make the change. To do so, I'll need to down the server for a bit while I rebuild all of the full text indexes. There are so many 3 letter acronyms that I think it would be worth it.

Tom
I say "Let's do it!" :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:There are so many 3 letter acronyms that I think it would be worth it.
:thumbsup:

That only leaves the two letter acronyms.

IM - Inventory Manager
TR - TempleReady
FS - FamlySearch

to name a few.

Any way to screen based on all caps?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Sounds good though from how Tom made it sound this won't be just a green list of acronyms but all 3 letter words. When will the forums be done?
- David
Mr. M-p40

Post by Mr. M-p40 »

I was referring to an export on the MLS system. Not an export for the forums. I was just bringing up I couldn't search for the term "XML" in the forums.
mkmurray wrote:Well, he was talking about an XML export for MLS and as a side note trying to do a search on the forums for the term XML to find if someone has already mentioned XML and MLS in the forums. I don't think he was talking about XML export of the forum threads (that's how I read his post).
Mr. M
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit me virtually anytime. ;)

http://www.mariohipol.com
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Mr. M wrote:I was referring to an export on the MLS system. Not an export for the forums. I was just bringing up I couldn't search for the term "XML" in the forums.

Yea sorry... I don't know how I misread that. :o But it would be nice for the forums too.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote::thumbsup:

That only leaves the two letter acronyms.

IM - Inventory Manager
TR - TempleReady
FS - FamlySearch

to name a few.
Hey, don't push your luck. ;)
RussellHltn wrote: Any way to screen based on all caps?
There is no way to screen based on all caps. It is a case insensitive search. I'm going to limit the search to three letters for now and we will see how it goes.

I'll be working on this today. I may need to shut the forums down for about 10-15 minutes while the re-index is happening.

Tom

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”