Printing Suggestion

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
thomaspittman
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Printing Suggestion

Postby thomaspittman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:20 pm

When doing a send-receive, it would be great if it would just collect up a list of all of the forms/documents to be printed, and give you a window in which you can select which ones you want printed, how many copies, and whether or not to print a copy for the bishop. As it currently stands, you are asked these questions potentially a lot of times.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:38 pm

tomp wrote:When doing a send-receive, it would be great if it would just collect up a list of all of the forms/documents to be printed, and give you a window in which you can select which ones you want printed, how many copies, and whether or not to print a copy for the bishop. As it currently stands, you are asked these questions potentially a lot of times.


That's a good idea, which has been proposed before in this post.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

ssrail-p40
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: San Pedro CA USA

Postby ssrail-p40 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:56 pm

tomp wrote:When doing a send-receive, it would be great if it would just collect up a list of all of the forms/documents to be printed, and give you a window in which you can select which ones you want printed, how many copies, and whether or not to print a copy for the bishop. As it currently stands, you are asked these questions potentially a lot of times.


I asked the question "why when MLS asked if you would like a bishops / clerks copy and you click NO!!!! does the MLS still print a copy?" The reply from MLS support was not to give this copy to members.... the person evidently did not read the full message.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:03 pm

ssrail wrote:I asked the question "why when MLS asked if you would like a bishops / clerks copy and you click NO!!!! does the MLS still print a copy?" The reply from MLS support was not to give this copy to members.... the person evidently did not read the full message.


I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. MLS always prints one copy for the clerk; MLS allows you to optionally print a second copy for the bishop. Personally, I've never seen MLS print two copies unless I answer the question "Yes". Are you saying that MLS prints two copies all the time, regardless of how you answer the question?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

User avatar
kh_design
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:57 pm
Location: ..
Contact:

Memebership Record, IOS

Postby kh_design » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 am

ssrail wrote:I asked the question "why when MLS asked if you would like a bishops / clerks copy and you click NO!!!! does the MLS still print a copy?" The reply from MLS support was not to give this copy to members.... the person evidently did not read the full message.


Alan_Brown wrote:I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. MLS always prints one copy for the clerk; MLS allows you to optionally print a second copy for the bishop. Personally, I've never seen MLS print two copies unless I answer the question "Yes". Are you saying that MLS prints two copies all the time, regardless of how you answer the question?


From my observation MLS prints one Membership Record for the Local Unit's file (not to be given to the member) and one Individual Ordinance Summary, IOS may be given to the member for their file and for the member to verify correct information. If you select "Yes" a second Membership Record is printed for the Bishop's/Branch President's file.

At a quick first glance MLS does appear to print two Membership Records, even when "No" is selected, when actually MLS prints one Membership Record and one Individual Ordinance Summary.


.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 am

kh_design wrote:From my observation MLS prints one Membership Record for the Local Unit's file (not to be given to the member) and one Individual Ordinance Summary, IOS may be given to the member for their file and for the member to verify correct information. If you select "Yes" a second Membership Record is printed for the Bishop's/Branch President's file.

At a quick first glance MLS does appear to print two Membership Records, even when "No" is selected, when actually MLS prints one Membership Record and one Individual Ordinance Summary.

This doesn't match my experience. I always hit "Yes" to every prompt print dialog prompt. I never get two membership record print outs. I always get a maximum of one IOS and one Membership Record (for Bishops and Clerks only) per member.

As for the other printouts, I get two of each membership update (one for me, the Membership Clerk, and one for the Bishop); I only get one Transaction Report per transmission if I had anything to send off to Church HQ.

I have no idea what happens when you hit "No" to any/all of the print dialog prompts.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:42 am

mkmurray wrote:This doesn't match my experience. I always hit "Yes" to every prompt print dialog prompt. I never get two membership record print outs. I always get a maximum of one IOS and one Membership Record (for Bishops and Clerks only) per member.

As for the other printouts, I get two of each membership update (one for me, the Membership Clerk, and one for the Bishop); I only get one Transaction Report per transmission if I had anything to send off to Church HQ.

I have no idea what happens when you hit "No" to any/all of the print dialog prompts.

So yeah, funny thing. We just upgraded to MLS 3.2 this week and last night when I did a Send/Receive, I hit "Yes" to all the prompts like I normally do and did in fact end up with duplicated Membership Record and IOS reports and also duplicated Membership Update Reports (2 for the Bishop, 2 for me). It appears the popup dialog showed up twice asking me if I wanted to print for the same set up updates. Either the popup showed twice or the set of membership updates were processed twice, which showed ao print dialog popup per each processing.

It happened once during a single Send/Receive, and I don't quite have enough evidence to show if it was a one-time thing or consistently happening or intermittent. I do know that Transaction reports are unaffected. It makes sense that Membership Records, IOSes, and Membership Update Reports are all duplicated together at the same time because the Membership Update Report processing is what causes the ability to print the "Necessary Membership Records and Individual Ordinance Summaries," as the print dialog would say after you respond to the one about printing out a second Membership Update report for the bishop.

So yeah, I'll keep an eye on it and report back.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:49 pm

mkmurray wrote:So yeah, I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

My report back is that it only happened that one time and has yet to repeat itself.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest