MLS Running in Windows 7

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:I do agree on the support and policy issues, but the reality is that Windows XP is soon to go the way of the dinosaur,
I do not disagree, but it's up to CHQ to develop the plan. Not us.
JamesAnderson wrote:Microsoft is to discontinue support for Win2k in July, so XP may be next, it's now two operating systems behind, like Win2k was when Vista first came out.
Currently, support for XP is due to end in April 2014, so I fail to see any urgency that would drive us to take the issue into our own hands.
JamesAnderson wrote:Also, the next version of MSIE will not work with WinXP,
The preview will not work in WinXP. It's unclear what the status of the final product will be. At one time MS did say WinXP would be supported. Of course, there's always other browsers - if that's what CHQ wants us to install.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Thanks Russell for the updates, it looks like the HQ people have plenty of time should they choose to develop for Windows 7, and as for the MSIE browser issue, it may well be that they are testing first in Windows 7 and working backwards to be sure things will work in the 'flagship' product first, then the rest. I also now see no real urgency to develop for Windows 7 or similar yet if it works well in XP now.

Given all this, we are almost sure to see a product that works nearly flawlessly in Windows 7 should they develop MLS for it and it will be the best possible programming for it. Not fully bug-free as we have seen in any software development, but we should, if they do it, have a very good implementation of it for Windows 7.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm hopeful that it will result in no longer requiring MLS users to have full administrative rights to the computer. From what I've seen in other programs, it turns out that making the program Vista compatible were the changes needed to allow it to operate with just user rights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pbhanney

Post by pbhanney »

Has there been any development in this issue? We just got a new computer at the end of January with a Windows 7 license, but it was downgraded to Windows XP (I was VERY disappointed). We are having several issues with the computer (i.e. no sound, and ATI problems discussed in another thread) and I was wondering if upgrading to Windows 7 would fix some of them.
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

MLS 3.3.1 works quite well with Windows 7.
hanney1 wrote:Has there been any development in this issue? We just got a new computer at the end of January with a Windows 7 license, but it was downgraded to Windows XP (I was VERY disappointed). We are having several issues with the computer (i.e. no sound, and ATI problems discussed in another thread) and I was wondering if upgrading to Windows 7 would fix some of them.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but didn't want to start a new one on the same topic.
We recently received a new computer for a new unit soon to be organized in our stake. I'm the Stake Tech. butt't Clerk and was trying to install MLS and other software into the new machine. The new computer has Windows 7 and will not allow the installation of MLS.
I read through this thread and found references to "reformat to XP" and "set compatibility mode to Windows 2000" and "check box next to 'run this program as an administrator'" Despite my calling, I don't know how to do any of that.
Any ideas? All help will be appreciated, the new unit will be organized this Sunday, the 14th October, and their first meeting will be next Sunday.
"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

EDDIEDOW wrote:The new computer has Windows 7 and will not allow the installation of MLS.
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Can you let us know any error messages you received during the attempted install?
EDDIEDOW wrote:I read through this thread and found references to "reformat to XP" and "set compatibility mode to Windows 2000" and "check box next to 'run this program as an administrator'" Despite my calling, I don't know how to do any of that.
You can ignore that part of the thread as it only applies to older versions of MLS, which were not yet Windows 7 compatible. You should be installing the latest version (3.4.3 at the time of this post) which is fully compatible with Windows 7.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

EDDIEDOW wrote:We recently received a new computer for a new unit soon to be organized in our stake.

I assume these new computers came from the FM group and not something the stake picked up locally, right?

As long as you're using the current version of MLS downloaded from mls.lds.com and using a login that has local admin rights, you shouldn't have any problems installing it.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I've installed MLS so many times on a Windows 7 computer I can't count them and I've not had issues. 64 bit or 32 bit both work correctly. There might be some kind of issue with Administrative Permissions... maybe you could right-click the install and run as Administrator....
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I think my ward has a box that may be running Win7 on it, because the task bar looks like Win7 (having used Win7 at Rootstech's cybercafe). We just used 3.4.3 Sunday to fill out the stake report for the HP group leadership I am in and no hitches, no glitches.

However, the monitor appears to be an old tube-type monitor, not a flat panel type. Square, like the old ones too. Is it possible that the FM group just used the old monitors and only gave us the guts new? And it is possible that it's not a 'new' install either of Win7, but one that was used to upgrade an XP or Vista box, I've heard sometimes new software will work better if it upgrades an older version of what was on the machine, and that may be why we saw no issues with MLS on that machine.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”