Patriarchal Blessing Recommendation form

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:But the suggestion to work off a saved recommend form to avoid retyping the patriarch's contact information is a good one, if the patriarch doesn't happen to live in your ward.

This is a time when a well-placed 3x5 card on the clerk's office bulletin board comes in handy. The one right next to the short list of unit numbers in the area, etc.

If you really wanted to be high tech and if you really have a lot of patriarchal blessing requests, if you made the patriarch an out of unit member would he show up in the drop down box?

And ultimately, the best solution will be for MLS to program the patriarch to show up in each ward in the stake. Now that would be really high tech.

But the 3x5 card will do for now. Or reusing a saved form as previously mentioned. Lots of workarounds.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Alan_Brown wrote:Thanks to all who responded. Rather than relying on the post which incorrectly claimed the patriarch's information was available in all wards, I have now researched this myself, and have verified that my original response was correct -- you can only automatically select the patriarch's information if he happens to live in your ward.
But the suggestion to work off a saved recommend form to avoid retyping the patriarch's contact information is a good one, if the patriarch doesn't happen to live in your ward.

Just to further clarify, in the current version of MLS (3.1.5), the patriarch who doesn't live in our ward, his information has been saved and is available for when ever a new request for a patriarchal blessing is made.

I am therefore making the assumption that someone has entered his information, in the past, and it is retained by MLS. The information can be edited/changed. Whether in doing this a requester pops up to allow this to saved, I don't know. I do know that the completed request form can be saved.

I wasn't working from a saved recommend form when I made my own request, as this was first time I had used this option to print out a recommend.

If any one else has a clearer idea of what actually happens. I would love to know.

PS. Just had a thought :). Maybe if a recommend has been saved, in the past, the information is saved at that point. If memory serves me correctly these saved forms are only retained for a year then automatically cleared out.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

Alan_Brown wrote:Thanks to all who responded. Rather than relying on the post which incorrectly claimed the patriarch's information was available in all wards, I have now researched this myself, and have verified that my original response was correct -- you can only automatically select the patriarch's information if he happens to live in your ward.
My very world has been shaken! If Alan can make a slightly less than accurate statement about MLS, the end of the world must be near! :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nutterb wrote:My very world has been shaken! If Alan can make a slightly less than accurate statement about MLS, the end of the world must be near! :)
According to the scriptures, a few things still need to happen before the end arrives. (Of course, anything Alan does or does not do is not on the required list of events.)

What Alan says is correct. The first time, you cannot call up the patriarch into the form unless he is a high priest living in your ward.

What Biggles seems to be saying, though, is also true. Once you have the patriarch loaded in a recommend form, whether by using the search box or by typing it in, it is available to you again the next time you call up a recommend form. You do not even have to save a previous patriarchal blessing recommend form for this to happen.

I have tested this, and it is true whether or not you saved the original recommend form.

This is news. It is also a very nice touch on the part of the MLS programmers.
Daryl1

Post by Daryl1 »

I happen to live in a Ward that has the Patriarch living in it. So filling out the Patriarch's recommend is easy. The other units have to type in the information for the Patriarch.
owentami1

patriarchal blessing for adopted child

Post by owentami1 »

I remember when I had my patriarchal blessing it listed my parents on it. My adopted child will soon be receiveing a patriarchal blessing. I would like it to list both the biological mother (who died when child was little and who was married in the temple to my spouse) and me (I'm sealed to my spouse and have legally adopted this child). How is this done? Does the patriarchal blessing recommend form automatically fill out parent info? What computer system is patriarchal blessing information entered into. This is very important to our family and child!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

oats wrote:Does the patriarchal blessing recommend form automatically fill out parent info? What computer system is patriarchal blessing information entered into. This is very important to our family and child!

The patriarchal blessing recommend form takes information from the membership record as recorded in MLS. The form can be changed when it is prepared. The form calls for the name of the father and the mother.

The patriarchal blessing will also show the name of the father and the mother. The patriarch (or his recorder) will use the recommend form to glean this information.

If the membership record does not show the proper parents, a member may work with the bishop and clerk to get the correct information into the records. The bishop will also be able to answer any other questions a member may have or, if he does not know the answer, get them from his stake president.
cliffordblair

Error in Instructions to Bishop at top of form

Post by cliffordblair »

It appears that the "Instructions to the Bishop" on the top of the MLS-generated form have a citation to the outdated edition of the Church Handbook (2006). I believe the correct citation should be Book 1, pp. 148-150.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Use paragraph numbers, not page numbers when citing the handbooks.
cliffordblair

Post by cliffordblair »

Yes, good point. Should be Book 1, 16.12.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”