Stake or ward clerk? - Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Certificate & MLS Entry

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ohiomatt-p40

Stake or ward clerk? - Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Certificate & MLS Entry

Post by ohiomatt-p40 »

Who is responsibile for doing the priesthood ordination certificate and MLS entry of someone becoming an elder or high priest?

I know the stake president needs to sign it, but does the stake clerk have any other responsibility for this?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ohiomatt wrote:Who is responsibile for doing the priesthood ordination certificate and MLS entry of someone becoming an elder or high priest?

I know the stake president needs to sign it, but does the stake clerk have any other responsibility for this?
The ward or branch must update the ordination in MLS. Either the ward/branch or the stake can print the certificate.

It is the responsibility of the stake clerk to see that Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations are recorded and that the certificates are prepared, even though in most cases he neither records the ordination nor actually prints the certificate himself.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Here is how our stake handles this issue. Other stakes may do it in another manner that works for them but we have found our method to at least ensure the ordinations get entered.

First - all MP ordinations are approved via the Stake Presidency and High Council. - We do this with the MP Ordination form (MLS generated) in hand and filled out after both the Bishop and Stake President have completed their interviews. (The Stake Executive Secretary normally holds the paperwork until after approval by High Council).

Second - after approval by High Council the paperwork is given to the Stake Clerk (me). By this time it has been determined when the ordination will take place, who will do the ordination, and who will officiate (both pieces of information required on the Ordination Form).

Third - The stake clerk makes a copy of the completed MP Ordination Form and makes a certificate to be signed by the Stake President and then gives it to the individual who will be officiating at the ordination (normally a High Council Member). The stake clerk takes the copy of the MP ordination form and keeps it to check MLS after the ordination date to see that the ordination is entered by the appropriate ward clerk in which the individual resides.

Fourth - The Officiating member takes the original MP Ordination form and certificate to the Ordination. The certificate is given to the individual (already signed by Stake President and Officiating Member) and gives the MP form to the respective clerk with the instuctions to enter it into MLS.

So far, this system has worked for our stake. It ensures certificates are signed and presented and ordination is entered into the computer (which has to be done at the ward level as the stake doesn't have access to updating ordinations via MLS).

Jim (typing this while I'm down with pneumonia and sort of light headed so I hope it made sense) :eek:

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”