Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ryankellogg-p40

Post by ryankellogg-p40 »

I appologize if this functionality already exists, but my suggestion is to create an user level setting for a default printer within MLS. When printing checks or reports, the printer selection screen is displayed for every print request. In my experience, most clerk offices only have one printer, so the selection is generally pointless. Anyway, just a friendly suggestion from a Stake Assistant Financial Clerk who prints lots of checks :).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryankellogg wrote:I appologize if this functionality already exists, but my suggestion is to create an user level setting for a default printer within MLS. When printing checks or reports, the printer selection screen is displayed for every print request. In my experience, most clerk offices only have one printer, so the selection is generally pointless. Anyway, just a friendly suggestion from a Stake Assistant Financial Clerk who prints lots of checks :).
I agree that it can be a bit tedious to okay the printer selection multiple times. But it can also be very useful to print a report to a PDF, and to do that you have to select the PDF printer. So it is helpful to be able to select a different printer at various times.

Also, I'm curious why you suggest that it be a "user level setting." Is there a reason why one user would want a different default from another user, particularly if the ward only has one printer, as you suggested? It seems like the feature you propose would be better at an application level than a user level.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ryankellogg-p40

Post by ryankellogg-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:I agree that it can be a bit tedious to okay the printer selection multiple times. But it can also be very useful to print a report to a PDF, and to do that you have to select the PDF printer. So it is helpful to be able to select a different printer at various times.

Also, I'm curious why you suggest that it be a "user level setting." Is there a reason why one user would want a different default from another user, particularly if the ward only has one printer, as you suggested? It seems like the feature you propose would be better at an application level than a user level.
The reason I suggest a user level default, is precisely applicable to your comments around printing to a PDF. Some users will like the selection, while others may not. Should I not be printing a lot of checks, but rather reports, I may want to switch the default setting off so that I can select the PDF option.

The default printer could be the computer-wide default, and the setting in MLS could be a check-mark on one of the drop-down menus at the top of the application. I suppose this could also be an application level setting, but with multiple users, each with their own preferences, it seems like user level may be best.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”