Lost Membership?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Through this experience, we learned that the stake data does not have a chance unless everyone is on the same page, i.e., the same version of MLS.
I've seen a ward lag in their MLS version because they never rebooted the computer. I just rebooted it and low and behold, the version of MLS changed - without doing a send receive or connecting to the Internet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I've seen a ward lag in their MLS version because they never rebooted the computer. I just rebooted it and low and behold, the version of MLS changed - without doing a send receive or connecting to the Internet.
I can see where that might happen, although we tell our folks that the computer should not be turned on if someone is not in the building. And the FM Group calls it a fire hazard.
bradlyon

Beta 3.2

Post by bradlyon »

I have tried Beta 3.2 and it does not fix the missing member problem.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bradlyon wrote:I have tried Beta 3.2 and it does not fix the missing member problem.
At the ward or stake level? Did you load the beta on every computer in the stake? If you did not, the odds are tremendously excellent that you will have missing members.
mzundel

Post by mzundel »

Has anyone found a solution? I saw that HQ was working on the problem, but that was a few months ago. We are still having the problem at our stake machine.

From what I can tell, if I request a refresh on All Membership Records (or even just a ward we know we are having a problem with) MLS does not seem to do anything special. I do see two extra files sent: mbrmrchg-USA/xxxxxxx.403 and mls2cdol/xxxxxxx.yyyyyyyyyyyyy. The xxxxxxx is our stake unit number and the yyyyyyyyyyyyy was some long number. I didn't want to include them in case of sensitive information. On DSL, the send/receive takes about 10 seconds when trying to perform a full refresh. On a normal send/receive, it takes about 5 seconds. I don't think I am getting the membership refresh I am requesting as 10 seconds seem a bit low for 1.5Mbps.

I was hoping that MLS 3.2.1 would fix the issues. I even went around to verify all wards have the correct version.

I want to express how frustrating it is for the Stake Presidency when they can not have a complete stake membership list.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mzundel wrote:The xxxxxxx is our stake unit number and the yyyyyyyyyyyyy was some long number.
If I recall correctly, it appeared that yyyyyyyyyyyyy was like a date/time or revision number.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mzundel wrote:I want to express how frustrating it is for the Stake Presidency when they can not have a complete stake membership list.

If you have done a member refresh and do not have a complete stake membership list, call the help desk and let them know.
mzundel

Resolved

Post by mzundel »

I wanted to report back that my problem has been resolved. I ended up calling the global service desk. They said this problem should have been resolved months ago. They gave me instructions to performa clean install of MLS to see if that would fix the problem.

One early morning, I set out to perform the clean install. Part of the instructions directed to perform a backup of MLS before removing the directories. My feeling was that I should perform the backup after a send/receive. When I did the send/receive, it took about 5 min which was longer than I had seen the other night. I saw messages about processing membership information. After, I checked for some of our missing members and found they were back on the stake computer.

I am not sure what fixed this. It could be that the request for membership took longer than 3 hours to process. I am not sure if the GSD found something wrong with the unit and they fixed it or if they set the flag to push a membership update. I am grateful that it is fixed.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”