Record request *still* hasn't come in -- what next?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
billybob00-p40
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Record request *still* hasn't come in -- what next?

Postby billybob00-p40 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 pm

So I requested a record about 2 weeks ago. The member did not know what ward is records were in, so I sent the request without that information. I would assume that if you don't provide that information, it could take a bit longer, but after two weeks, I'm starting to thing it didn't go through.

My questions --

1. If it still hasn't come in by this Sunday, who do I contact?
2. I've been curious -- how does a record request actually work? Is it an automated process, or does someone in Salt Lake actually manually make the change?
3. Somewhat unrelated question -- I don't quite understand how the send records/request records process works. If I'm a clerk, and there's a member who leaves, I'm supposed to send his records out. But what if he has the clerk in his new ward request his records? Is it which ever clerk got to it first?

Thanks

Neil

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:35 pm

billybob00 wrote:2. I've been curious -- how does a record request actually work? Is it an automated process, or does someone in Salt Lake actually manually make the change?

I get the feeling it's a little bit of both. When I have made a record request before with not very much info (or potentially incorrect info that we're unsure about) it has usually taken quite a bit longer than normal (and I would say 2 weeks is not out of the question). However, in most of the cases I can think of, I usually get an MLS message back from some Church representative that actually says they couldn't find the record as I requested it.
billybob00 wrote:3. Somewhat unrelated question -- I don't quite understand how the send records/request records process works. If I'm a clerk, and there's a member who leaves, I'm supposed to send his records out. But what if he has the clerk in his new ward request his records? Is it which ever clerk got to it first?

Yes, whoever does it first.

nutterb
Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Postby nutterb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 pm

billybob00 wrote:So I requested a record about 2 weeks ago. The member did not know what ward is records were in, so I sent the request without that information. I would assume that if you don't provide that information, it could take a bit longer, but after two weeks, I'm starting to thing it didn't go through.

My questions --

1. If it still hasn't come in by this Sunday, who do I contact?
2. I've been curious -- how does a record request actually work? Is it an automated process, or does someone in Salt Lake actually manually make the change?
3. Somewhat unrelated question -- I don't quite understand how the send records/request records process works. If I'm a clerk, and there's a member who leaves, I'm supposed to send his records out. But what if he has the clerk in his new ward request his records? Is it which ever clerk got to it first?

Thanks

Neil


How long it takes to identify a record would seem to me to be a matter of how difficult it is to uniquely identify a member. If you were able to provide the membership record number, then it should be near instantaneous.

The more information you provide, the better. At the same time, if you provide incorrect information, they may never find a match.

In the past, I've submitted a record request before Sacrament and got the record by the time we finished tithing. In one case, I even got the record within 30 minutes. To do so I provided full names, birthdates, and unit numbers. Anytime I provide less it usually takes a couple of days.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Postby jonesrk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 pm

mkmurray wrote:
billybob00 wrote:2. I've been curious -- how does a record request actually work? Is it an automated process, or does someone in Salt Lake actually manually make the change?

I get the feeling it's a little bit of both.

Last time I moved I gave my old ward clerk my new unit number and then did some followup. If you have a correct unit number it does get moved automatically. I know they have some automatic address matching as well.

If it doesn't hit any of their automatic processes then it goes to people to process.

In my case my records were moved in to my new ward before Monday morning.
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6146
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm

billybob00 wrote:So I requested a record about 2 weeks ago.


You might want to make sure the record was actually requested, i.e., you have a copy of the transaction report showing the request was sent. You might also check to see that you have not received anything about your request in the MLS messaging system. That will be the first place you will find the answer to a missing record if the problem is that it cannot be sent.

If you match the full name and the date of birth, there are no duplicates in the Church, there are no holds on the record, and the record is coming from a regular ward or branch, you should receive it on the next Send/Receive you do after the top of the hour has passed.

I have received records that quickly, without specifying the unit number or ward where the member previously lived.

Even the manual process only takes a few days. If it has been two weeks, it has been too long. Check your MLS messages, and if nothing is there, request the record again. Make sure the request was actually transmitted.

Then, if the record does not come within about three or four days, check your MLS messages and call support.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20774
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Where is the record coming from? If it's coming from a different area office, it used to take longer. But that was many years ago. It may not take that long now.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

rontilby
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Postby rontilby » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:11 pm

If there is a "Move Hold" on the record (or you're requesting someone who is excommunicated), the bishop may get a letter via snail-mail explaining the situation, and you probably won't get a message through MLS.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 pm

billybob00 wrote:So I requested a record about 2 weeks ago. The member did not know what ward is records were in, so I sent the request without that information. I would assume that if you don't provide that information, it could take a bit longer, but after two weeks, I'm starting to thing it didn't go through.


Check your messages. If they couldn't find a match, they will send you a message indicating that. If you can get the membership number from the person, it will come regardless of where it is.

The ones that have taken the longest for me are the ones that cross regional boundaries. In those cases, the original record stays in the region and a copy is made and sent to me. Something like that, at least.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest