Switch MLS Language

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
celsohdz

Post by celsohdz »

THanks for your reply. I´ll do the first then.
thebundok

Re: Switch MLS Language

Post by thebundok »

I think I need some additional guidance. I've created the .bat file but I don't know what to do with it from there. Double clicking obviously just reopens the .bat in NotePad while double clicking the MLS shortcut on the desktop just opens MLS in the current local language (Norwegian in my case). How do I reference the .bat file with a shortcut so that it will open in English while having a separate shortcut that will continue to open MLS in Norwegian?

In regards to the topic at hand, I definitely see this as a much needed feature request. This isn't the first time I've been confronted with this issue and I don't think it will be the last. Having the option on loading to select language would be a great boon. One thing I've noticed (however) is that a lot, though not all, of the Norwegian titles/callings etc. which contain special characters ø, æ or å don't resolve when MLS is opened in English and just become blank. Because they're blank they can't be interacted with. Something that I'm sure would have to be resolved should this feature make it into a final release.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

It sounds like the file name is really .bat.txt where the .txt is hidden by the OS.
You will need to change the settings to show the extension for registered file types and then you can remove the .txt from the filename.
thebundok

Post by thebundok »

Nope, there is no hidden .txt extension. It even has the icon with the gears and in the properties it's recognized as a batch file. I realized it was file associated to open with Notepad so I got rid of the association however it still doesn't alter MLS or open it in English when double-clicked.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The concept is that the batch files change the default MLS language. You run the batch file to change the file that contains the default language, then you start MLS as you normally would, and the language currently set as the default would run.

If you are running the batch file and then MLS always starts in the same language, the batch file is not working properly, probably for one of two reasons. (1) The batch file is not correct. (2) the batch file is not changing the file that MLS is looking at to select the default language.
SherlockAdam

Post by SherlockAdam »

I had this sort of problem a while ago. I am a Brit who lives in Antwerp, Belgium. Some of the members do not speak any English so having the quarterly reports in English was useless. I could use MLS in Dutch, but I was quicker in English.

My solution was to create a shortcut on the desktop which opened the properties file directly. I then manually adjusted the language, saved the file & opened MLS as normal. It was simple - it worked, and it kept the properties file intact. You did not have the danger of using a standard properties file. Yes there was the danger of changing something else, but if you are careful it should not happen.

Best regards
Adam
thebundok

Post by thebundok »

SherlockAdam wrote:My solution was to create a shortcut on the desktop which opened the properties file directly. I then manually adjusted the language, saved the file & opened MLS as normal

This is what I've been doing. It just sounded like the other methods were easier and less prone to user error or unintended alterations to the properties file. I'm still hoping that language switching gets included as a feature for future versions. Even if it's as simple as a dialogue box that pops up on loading.
SherlockAdam

Post by SherlockAdam »

thebundok wrote:I'm still hoping that language switching gets included as a feature for future versions. Even if it's as simple as a dialogue box that pops up on loading.
That would be the best option, and in my inexperienced opinion - the easiest.
ulupoi

Re:

Post by ulupoi »

aetaber wrote:A related problem: I was setting up a computer for one of our Spanish branches and while I was able to change the language parameter from en to es, de, etc and save it successfully in a Win7 environment, when we run MLS it still displayes in English no matter what. And yes, MLS was not running while we were changing the file parameter. Please advise.
You probably solved this a long time ago, but one thing that has worked for me in this situation is to restart the computer. There used to be a little program in an MLS folder somewhere that you could double-click and force the language change to take place, but I can't remember where it is or what it is called, anymore.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

aetaber wrote:A related problem: I was setting up a computer for one of our Spanish branches and while I was able to change the language parameter from en to es, de, etc and save it successfully in a Win7 environment, when we run MLS it still displayes in English no matter what. And yes, MLS was not running while we were changing the file parameter. Please advise.
I think the product.properties file gets cached in RAM, and sometimes when you launch MLS, it pulls up the pre-edit, cached copy of product.properties instead of reading it from the edited disc copy. That's my guess, anyway.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”