Updated LU Security Software

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:The only question is how does the Sophos updater work for a dialup connection?
Well, we now have an answer to this: it doesn't. A recent addition (by a Church employee) to the Local Unit Security Suite article on the wiki says:
NOTE: This version of the anti-virus/anti-malware will not update correctly on dialup units. You will see a gray shield with a red/white x Image. A fix for this issue is being developed. However, given the number of out of date virus signatures and the number of infected systems, it was deemed necessary to release at this time.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:Well, we now have an answer to this: it doesn't. A recent addition (by a Church employee) to the Local Unit Security Suite article on the wiki says...
That same note is now on mls.lds.org on the Local Unit Security Software page, so it's pretty darn official.

As a side note, on the main page of mls.lds.org the date listed for Local Unit Security Software is now 22 Dec 2009. Hooray! As noted on the very first post of this thread, that date was still at 2007 even after the new installers were posted, which led many people not to look at the Local Unit Security Software page for recent updates, since it didn't appear there were any.
techgy
Community Moderators

Indication of Installation Completion

Post by techgy »

I've successfully installed both packages into an extra box that had Desktop 5.5 on it.... The only real problem is that there's no indication when the Computer Management software installation is completed.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, you have to monitor the Task Manager for an indication.

I installed the Sophos package (which removed Symantec) first, followed by the CM package, rebooted and didn't observe any problems. I plan on waiting a few days into the new year before I proceed with this on the ward administrative computers. I'd prefer to give the wards a little time to complete their end-of-year tasks before making any changes.

Has anyone noticed any significant increase in response with the removal of the symantec AV?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:Has anyone noticed any significant increase in response with the removal of the symantec AV?
The new machines are fast enough that I don't know as there would be much. The real key is what it does to the old machines.

I'm also interested in what it does to MLS transmission times.

I'll also have to play around with updating.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm also interested in what it does to MLS transmission times.
For units with broadband connections, it has no effect on MLS transmissions -- the Sophos updating is done at system startup, independent of any MLS transmission.

For units on dialup: For now, as mentioned a few posts ago, Sophos doesn't update anyway, so it shouldn't have any effect there, either.

There was that discussion we had long ago about whether Symantec slowed down MLS transmissions. I personally never saw evidence of that being the case, but if that was indeed the source of a slowdown, then that factor should now be removed and transmissions should be faster.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:Sophos doesn't update anyway
Not successfully, anyway. However, in my experience, it tries, and it finds a server, and it does download. It just never gets the time to complete that download. So unless CHQ made a change since my test a few days ago, it's perfectly reasonable to think it may have an impact on MLS transmission times.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

First Glitch

Post by techgy »

I've experienced the first problem during an install of the new Sophos Anti-Virus. The Symantec AV services do not always shut down and the Sophos Install will cancel with an error message.

I suggest that the following steps be taken until CHQ can investigate this;

1) Boot the Computer and allow symantec to finish it's scan.
2) Set the properties of all Symantec services to "Disabled"
3) Reboot the computer
4) Install Sophos

The first computer I did the install on went ok without using the above.
The next two both gave me an error message that Symantec wouldn't shut down and allow itself to be removed.

Looks like we've got a few bugs in this new Sophos installer!:(
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:The new machines are fast enough that I don't know as there would be much. The real key is what it does to the old machines.....
I noticed today that it's taking a few seconds longer to boot the computer. So there's definitely an impact with the new Sophos AV/Firewall.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:I noticed today that it's taking a few seconds longer to boot the computer. So there's definitely an impact with the new Sophos AV/Firewall.
It may get worse then that. In trying to figure out options for dial-up users, here's some things I've learned: The Sophos that was uploaded to mls.lds.org is version 4.47E. According to Sophos, that's a "November" build. Also Sophos does not provides IDE (virus definition files) for versions older than 3 months. It would appear that every month to 4 months, Sophos has to do a major update of itself. I wonder what that's like.

I had a FHC machine drop to a crawl on me the other day shortly after booting. It was hard drive bound. Plenty of CPU cycles, but the hard drive had no seeks to spare. I've heard some other complaints about Sophos, so I'm not so sure that it's all roses.

techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:It may get worse then that. In trying to figure out options for dial-up users, here's some things I've learned: The Sophos that was uploaded to mls.lds.org is version 4.47E. According to Sophos, that's a "November" build. Also Sophos does not provides IDE (virus definition files) for versions older than 3 months. It would appear that every month to 4 months, Sophos has to do a major update of itself. I wonder what that's like.

I had a FHC machine drop to a crawl on me the other day shortly after booting. It was hard drive bound. Plenty of CPU cycles, but the hard drive had no seeks to spare. I've heard some other complaints about Sophos, so I'm not so sure that it's all roses.
I have to hope that CHQ has put enough study into the switch to Sophos that they have some answers to these questions. Given the fact that we've had a number of "bugs" work their way into the MLS software over the past few months, I must admit to being a little nervous.

Perhaps someone at CHQ will respond to these issues and help relieve our anxiety.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”