Updated LU Security Software

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
pete_arnett-p40

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

Testing and deployment

Suggest that you test the deployment on your test desktop using the test ward (108) and test stake

Then wait until after tithing and year end and begin year processing have been completed

Then follow Alan_Brown process of doing a Desktop 5.5 image backup (or use other hard drive backup software) before doing the deployment
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

pete_arnett wrote:Testing and deployment

Suggest that you test the deployment on your test desktop using the test ward (108) and test stake

Then wait until after tithing and year end and begin year processing have been completed

Then follow Alan_Brown process of doing a Desktop 5.5 image backup (or use other hard drive backup software) before doing the deployment
This doesn't make sense. Both the Computer Management Software and Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software are for administrative computers. It has nothing to do with test installations of MLS on a non-administrative computer. I don't know of any stakes or wards having a extra computer to run system wide software installs. And it most certainly cannot be done on a privately owned computer. It just doesn't makes sense. I think you are confusing the discussion of the effect of the Computer Management Software install and the Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software install in this thread with MLS installations some how. While they may affect MLS simply because they are on the same computer they are not directly connected to the opperations of MLS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In addition, deploying the LANDesk on a privately owned machine could send things back to SLC. Maybe even giving them remote access to it.

Installing the new Anti-virus on a privately owned machine is likely a violation of the license.

Even if the units had an extra machine, I'm not sure how licensing would work out since there is no provision in the policy for these extra machines.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pete_arnett-p40

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

We use a retired desktop for MLS training
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:In addition, deploying the LANDesk on a privately owned machine could send things back to SLC. Maybe even giving them remote access to it.

Installing the new Anti-virus on a privately owned machine is likely a violation of the license.

Even if the units had an extra machine, I'm not sure how licensing would work out since there is no provision in the policy for these extra machines.
The "extra" machine I'm referring to is one that's been left over after a ward was recently discontinued in our stake. The machine still has all it's software on it, including the desktop 5.5 installation and symantec. I have a backup and anything that needed to be done to close the ward has been done.

As we've been given permission to use it in a non-administrative mode, it makes an excellent test box.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I installed both the Computer Management Software and the Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software this evening on our stake computer. The total time for both installs on our Dell Optiplex GX280 with 1GB of RAM was 43 minutes which included one reboot. I had downloaded the installers to an USB memory stick previously. The computer also has SP3 and all Windows updates installed. There are no adverse affects for MLS or anything else that I can tell.

The Computer Management Software is just an update to the LANDesk software. This update does not affect any other other software on the computer. I tried to run the Policy Based Delivery and the Software Update Portal but there did not seem to be anything available yet.

The Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software uninstalls the Symantec Security suite and installs the Sophos anti-virus and firewall. There is no change in the operation of any other software as a result of the change in security software. The Sophos updater checks for updates each time the computer is booted. The updates take anywhere from about 90 seconds to 3 minutes to complete. The CPU load during the update was insignificant, < 18% at the max load. I did not check the network bandwidth because of the short time of the update and other things I was checking at the time. As far as I can tell from several months of watching Sophos on FHC computers is that this is definitely an improvement over the Symantec product.

The only question is how does the Sophos updater work for a dialup connection?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Techgy wrote:As we've been given permission to use it in a non-administrative mode, it makes an excellent test box.
You are fortunate. Our FM group makes us send them back. [grin]
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:I installed both the Computer Management Software and the Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software this evening on our stake computer.
I installed these on a computer that is slated for recycling by the FM Group next week. My experience pretty much matched jdlessley's -- it went very smoothly. Our stake has been using Sophos for quite a while, so there were no surprises for us, except for one little issue.

I have updated the Local Unit Security Suite on the wiki to reflect the new installation steps. I also mention the error message I got from LDISCN32.EXE ("This application has failed to start because loc32vc0.dll was not found") and how to fix it in the article under Important installation note.

The Sophos version is exactly the same as we have been beta testing, and the LANDesk version (8.70.8.*) is almost exactly the same as the one already installed as part of Local Unit Security Suite (8.70.5.*) -- both dated in 2006. Since this software is pretty much what we are already running, I'm in no hurry to use the new installers, but my test does give me confidence that the new installers will work just fine.

Those who do not have Sophos (and are tired of doing manual updates of Symantec antivirus definitions each quarter) may want to consider installing the new Sophos antivirus solution.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I installed Sophos (and uninstalled Symantec) on the test box I referenced earlier in this thread. Everything went smoothly. The entire process of removing Symantec and installing Sophos took about 15 minutes. So far, no error messages.

It will be nice to not have to travel around the stake and do manual updates of the Symantec def's once I get this accomplished on the remaining administrative boxes.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:The only question is how does the Sophos updater work for a dialup connection?
Good question. It senses when a connection is made and it attempts to update. It does find a server. However, it seems to want to download 4 packages. The second one looks rather large. After a 9 minute MLS S/R, it had less then 1/5th of the second package. What doesn't give me a warm fuzzy is that on the second S/R it seem to run though package 1 again.

I'm wondering if I may have to download some updates to jump start the process.

Another observation is that I'm unable to tell what the date is on the signatures. I'm given an impossible time/date of just 5 minutes ago when I downloaded the file a couple of hours ago. I think it's defaulting to the install date/time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”