Wife as head of household

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In looking over this old thread, I find that the MLS manual has changed. The manual I'm looking at (with an internal date of 1/20/2010) no longer gives any requirement for permission to create a non-member record. It does say
The nonmember record is created to record family relationships so that the nonmember can be listed with other family members. This should only be done for individuals who live in the ward boundaries.
I'll have to go look at a "live" install to see if it has a more current manual.

But in my test install, I don't see any way to make the wife the HoH if both records are present.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jongibson1

Benefit of Wife as HOH

Post by jongibson1 »

I'm hoping to resolve a similar issue. One thing we found is that the non-member husband listed as HOH is the one coming up for Home Teaching lists. Thus, each set of Home Teachers is confused as to whom they will be home teaching. They assume it is the husband, when in fact they will be visiting the wife who is a member. In this case I see the benefit of listing the wife as HOH. I understand the use of seeing part-member families in lists and such. But, in this case I think it would be best to list her as HOH. Please advise.
Jonathan
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jongibson1 wrote:I'm hoping to resolve a similar issue. One thing we found is that the non-member husband listed as HOH is the one coming up for Home Teaching lists. Thus, each set of Home Teachers is confused as to whom they will be home teaching. They assume it is the husband, when in fact they will be visiting the wife who is a member. In this case I see the benefit of listing the wife as HOH. I understand the use of seeing part-member families in lists and such. But, in this case I think it would be best to list her as HOH. Please advise.

If a nonmember record has been created in MLS for the husband, then he will be the head of household. Home teaching is done on a household basis. It could be that the nonmember record should never have been created, and could be deleted. But it could also be retained, but with the understanding that he will be HoH.

Hopefully this isn't much of a problem -- home teaching assignments should be carefully communicated, and in that communication the EQ or HP leader that was communicating the assignment could mention the details about the family situation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”