Urgent Task: "some donors need to have their record numbers recorded"

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Vince1981-p40

Urgent Task: "some donors need to have their record numbers recorded"

Post by Vince1981-p40 »

In my urgent tasks, I have one that says "Some members need to have their record numbers recorded."

I've looked at this a number of times but haven't been able to do anything for the majority of names on the list. Most do not appear on the donor list or (if I remember correctly) on the membership list. The few that did appear have been cleared off the list, but I still have 50+ names. I'm a new clerk and I'm thinking this one has been in the system for a while.

Can anyone fill me in on how to do this? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Vince
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Vince1981 wrote:In my urgent tasks, I have one that says "Some members need to have their record numbers recorded."

I've looked at this a number of times but haven't been able to do anything for the majority of names on the list. Most do not appear on the donor list or (if I remember correctly) on the membership list. The few that did appear have been cleared off the list, but I still have 50+ names. I'm a new clerk and I'm thinking this one has been in the system for a while.
To fix this:
  1. In MLS, go to Finance > Add/Update Donors.
  2. There is a column for Record Number. For every donor of type "Member" there should be a record number in that column.
  3. You can click on the Record Number column header and then the Type column; that will bring all the Member donors with no Record Number to the top of the set of Member donors.
  4. For each Member donor with no Record Number, click on the donor name, and then in the dialog that appears, click the Select button to the right of "Member of unit" and pick the associated member from the list.
  5. You may find a case where a donor was listed as "Member of unit" but is not actually a member of the unit; in this case, change the type appropriately.
  6. Repeat until there are no more Member donors without a Record Number.
It's possible you may have a new member of the ward who has donated before the membership records arrive, but that should be rare, and quickly fixed. The Urgent Task will remind you when you need to do this, but as a rule, there should be no such Urgent Task.
Newt

Missing record number

Post by Newt »

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem, although mine is a bit different in that I only have one name on the list. (that being our new bishop) I have tried the normal route of merging the names like has been talked about. Here is where my problem gets funky, as I look to merge his name I can't find his name to merge with. And before you ask, yes we have his membership records. His name will not come up in the donors list. I got this neat idea of maybe I could send his records out and then request them back, I can't do this because his name does not show on that list either. I'm starting to think I may need to call CHQ. Sorry this is so long, I've had a hard time trying to explain all this.

Thanks in advance for your help
Newt
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Newt wrote:I got this neat idea . . .
Whatever you do, don't send out his records. That would break a ton of stuff.

If you have done a membership refresh, I would then call CHQ.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Newt wrote:I only have one name on the list. (that being our new bishop)
And yours is not a student ward or some other such scenario where the bishop is an out-of-unit member?

And your bishop's records show up in other places in MLS, such as Individual/Household Records?

And you can add your bishop as a donor? as a Payee?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Newt wrote:I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem, although mine is a bit different in that I only have one name on the list. (that being our new bishop) I have tried the normal route of merging the names like has been talked about. Here is where my problem gets funky, as I look to merge his name I can't find his name to merge with. And before you ask, yes we have his membership records. His name will not come up in the donors list. I got this neat idea of maybe I could send his records out and then request them back, I can't do this because his name does not show on that list either. I'm starting to think I may need to call CHQ. Sorry this is so long, I've had a hard time trying to explain all this.
This really does sound like an out-of-unit member, where the membership record number was not recorded. That would explain why he would not appear on the list of members to be associated with the donor record, and also why he wouldn't be on the list of members that can have their records moved out. Also, the reference to a "new bishop" fits as well. An out-of-unit member will look in most other respects like a regular member, so it's understandable that it would look like "we have his membership records."

So if he is an out-of-unit member without a membership record number, then all you need to do is to edit the membership record and supply the MRN. Just go to Membership > Individual Record, and see if the Record Number is filled in. If it's not, click the Edit link and fill it in. Then you will be able to associate the member record with the donor record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:So if he is an out-of-unit member without a membership record number, then all you need to do is to edit the membership record and supply the MRN. Just go to Membership > Individual Record, and see if the Record Number is filled in. If it's not, click the Edit link and fill it in. Then you will be able to associate the member record with the donor record.
If the Bishop doesn't know his MRN, it should be on his temple recommend.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Newt

Post by Newt »

This is definitely not a out of unit member. I do have his membership records, including his MRN. It all started with our stake realigning the ward boundaries. His records were moved the day they announced the changes. He came to us as part of the new ward. I believe the stake pushed just his records to us since he was going to be the new Bishop. I received just his record not him and his family. When I did the boundary realignment and got all the new families records his family came along with the rest. His and his family were joined just as if they all had come together.

We are not a student ward. We had to add him to the donor list because he does not show up on the regular ward donor list, this is where all of this came up as a urgent task.

Maybe I will have to just call CHQ

Thanks
Newt
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Newt wrote:We had to add him to the donor list because he does not show up on the regular ward donor list, this is where all of this came up as a urgent task.
Right. IIRC, you have to manually add everyone in the donor list. But when you add someone you've declared a member of the unit but don't provide a membership number, it will trigger the urgent task.

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that in Alan's step #4, you can find his name on the donor list, but you are unable to match it against the pop-up of the ward's membership list?

In playing with my test system, I find that after clicking the "Select" button, I may need to edit the "Find Individual in List" field. If there's too much information, it won't find anyone. To use a test unit example, If I am trying to find the membership record of "SABINO, JONATHAN MILES & SHANNON ELLEN", I can't. There is no such person. But if I shorten it to "SABINO, JONATHAN", I can find him. So I'd suggest checking the spelling of the name, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Newt

Post by Newt »

In playing with my test system, I find that after clicking the "Select" button, I may need to edit the "Find Individual in List" field. If there's too much information, it won't find anyone. To use a test unit example, If I am trying to find the membership record of "SABINO, JONATHAN MILES & SHANNON ELLEN", I can't. There is no such person. But if I shorten it to "SABINO, JONATHAN", I can find him. So I'd suggest checking the spelling of the name, etc.
The name being misspelled is not the problem, his name is as easy as say Bob Smith. I / we have been playing this merge game now for about 3 weeks. We have tried "find individual in list " several times with no luck. My old fin. clerk and myself have merged quite a few names in the past and we thought we would be able to work through this. But not so good at it yet. We have just put in say Bob and get everyone in the ward named Bob but not the Bishop. We have tried his last name and all we get is his wife and kids. I may just have to try to call CHQ tomorrow.

Thanks
Newt

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”