Where are the MLS 3.1 Release Notes?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
psnarula
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Where are the MLS 3.1 Release Notes?

Postby psnarula » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:33 pm

When I did a Send/Receive today at church, it told me that a software update was available (3.x MB) and that it would take 16-24 minutes to download on our dialup connection (33Kbps). I didn't have time to deal with it today. Any idea what this is? It's obviously not MLS 3.1 since that is over 90MB.

Speaking of MLS 3.1 -- I have downloaded it to my laptop. But where are the Release Notes?

Paul

RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1346
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby RossEvans » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:46 pm

psnarula wrote:Speaking of MLS 3.1 -- I have downloaded it to my laptop. But where are the Release Notes?


When you run the executable to install the MLS application, it puts a shortcut to the release notes on your desktop. The notes are stored as an HTM file.

dwterry-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:24 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Postby dwterry-p40 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Updates sent via modem are patches to an existing installation. The download file on the web site, on the other hand, is a full installation. Once either is installed, they should be virtually identical.

psnarula
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Postby psnarula » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:13 pm

dwterry wrote:Updates sent via modem are patches to an existing installation. The download file on the web site, on the other hand, is a full installation. Once either is installed, they should be virtually identical.


I never got any sort of warning about the upgrade (ie, print out phone numbers). If I had done the install over the modem, would the update have wiped out my phone numbers without ever warning me?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:20 pm

psnarula wrote:I never got any sort of warning about the upgrade (ie, print out phone numbers).


An MLS message was sent out to all units a couple of weeks ago about preparing for MLS 3.1. So someone got notified that there were new messages. Not all wards have a good system for making sure that all MLS messages get read and brought to the attention of everyone that needs to know.

psnarula wrote:If I had done the install over the modem, would the update have wiped out my phone numbers without ever warning me?


The installation program would not have warned you, and yes it would have automatically installed the update with no warning other than the MLS message I mentioned above.

RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1346
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby RossEvans » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:39 pm

We preserved the old secondary phone numbers. But as a practical matter, unless a unit had an ironclad practice such as "always use this field to record the spouse's number," it doesn't really preserve much. In most cases, clerks now have to ask members where to rekey the saved numbers. They might as well just ask members to write the down the numbers anew for each household and each member.

psnarula
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Postby psnarula » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:35 am

Alan_Brown wrote:An MLS message was sent out to all units a couple of weeks ago about preparing for MLS 3.1. So someone got notified that there were new messages. Not all wards have a good system for making sure that all MLS messages get read and brought to the attention of everyone that needs to know.



The installation program would not have warned you, and yes it would have automatically installed the update with no warning other than the MLS message I mentioned above.


My unit never received this MLS message.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6144
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:13 am

psnarula wrote:My unit never received this MLS message.


One of our units received the message on the same Send/Receive that they received the upgrade, hence, even though they received the message, it did not really matter for them, either.

Communication has always been one of the great challenges. It is better than it used to be, but still has a long ways to go.

Because of this forum, I was able to warn most of our units that the change was coming before the message started showing up. Sadly, even so we missed a few.

They will recover. E-mail addresses seem to change regularly, and even cell phone numbers are prone to change more often than land lines.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:40 am

lajackson wrote:One of our units received the message on the same Send/Receive that they received the upgrade, hence, even though they received the message, it did not really matter for them, either.

Sounds like they didn't do a single Send/Receive during that couple of weeks?
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

psnarula
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Postby psnarula » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:07 am

mkmurray wrote:Sounds like they didn't do a single Send/Receive during that couple of weeks?


I do a Send/Receive at least every Sunday and sometimes during the week if I happen to come in to work on clerk stuff. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I am in a military ward in Germany. Was the message only sent to certain units in certain locations? We definitely did not receive this message. This is not a big deal for my unit since I'm on top of it but I am fearful that other units in the stake might have been caught unaware.

I still have not actually installed MLS 3.1 (now 3.1.1) because I haven't had time to actually wait for the modem to download the update. I'm going to download it from mls.lds.org tonight and use a thumb drive to put the software on the computer at church.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest