Non-Member and Temporary Records

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jbh001 wrote:What might happen if you delete the records, and then go back and click the link to add the nonmember spouse to the household?
I guess I didn't word the question well enough as I am already aware of all the hypothetical impacts. I was wondering more about the specific impacts for this scenario. For example, would deleting the record and re-creating it remove someone from a calling? Or is the only thing that would have to be done after re-creating the record be to re-assign them to the elders quorum?

My reason for even exploring this is that perhaps MLS is using a legacy (but still allowed) method to manage the nonmember record that is messing up the custom report. Perhaps deleting the record altogether and the re-creating it under the current version of MLS might make the issue disappear altogether (i.e. because current MLS might be using a new and improved way for doing this instead of following a backward compatible method from legacy MLS).

I find this especially curious when only 1 of 3 nonmember records records in the scenario also has a temporary record.

If deleting the record and then re-creating it involves minimal devastation/reconstruction, then I think it might be worthwhile to do it if for no other reason than to observe the effects. For example, does the temporary record not show up until the person is assigned to an organization such that they appear on an attendance roll? Or does it happen when they are given a calling? Admittedly, this can (and should) be done in the test database first, but a request was made for brainstorming and I felt like precipitating. [grin]
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbh001 wrote:Perhaps deleting the record altogether and the re-creating it under the current version of MLS might make the issue disappear altogether (i.e. because current MLS might be using a new and improved way for doing this instead of following a backward compatible method from legacy MLS).
That's a nice thought, but unfortunately creating a new nonmember doesn't make any difference. I can duplicate this problem on the test database with MLS 3.0.2. I deleted all nonmembers, and then the list sorts nicely. I recreate one nonmember, and the problem reappears.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Well I heard back from Church developers regarding the Custom Report Sorting issue. However, both Church employees involved in the discussion didn't know much about Temporary Records and Nonmember records (and Linked Records).

It would be nice to get some insight on the expected relation between these types of records, how and when exactly they are created, and if my situation is indeed matching the intended setup.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”